Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-19-2021, 08:47 AM

Default Avid Control Connection Problems

There are many posts with issues on Avid Control, and I've googled and tried most of them. Still limited luck.

My issue is specific to Avid Control. I also have an Artist Mix and Avid Dock, and both of them connect reliably. It's just the iPad app that has trouble.

Incidentally it connects in 1 of 50 times, but not the rest. Which means it's not totally broken but something is just not computing in the setup.

It's the latest version 21.10.1. I've checked that the firewall is open, and all the WiFi settings are appropriate. I can ping the workstation from my iPad. I have the same problem on two separate iPads, one an old iPad Mini 2, and one a more recent iPad Pro 12". iPad has been set to manual IP, etc. etc.

I made sure Bonjour is installed and running (and the Artist & Dock) manage to use it to find it.

Last night I uninstalled and re-installed EuControl software, and when it restarted Control connected. Then I had the system on sleep for the night and this morning I'm back to square 1. Control launches but doesn't connect and only shows the small warning triangle. Not really up for re-installing EuControl ever morning.

I really wish there was a way of just entering the IP of where to connect to for EuControl than do this fragile auto discovery. I mean on an iPad app that would be dead simple.

Any other ideas?

This is a Windows 10Pro system, latest version of all the software and firmware. System runs a BitDefender firewall. I tried disabling to test without it, that didn't seem to help though.

Super frustrating.

Thanks,
Jan
Old 12-20-2021, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Avid Control Connection Problems

Two thoughts off the top of my head: Assign the tablet a static IP address. Don't sleep the system with Eucontrol running.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-20-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Assign the tablet a static IP address. Don't sleep the system with Eucontrol running.
Thanks.

I tried the static IP, that didn't help.

Not sleeping the system may be something to consider.

Jan
Old 12-21-2021, 01:10 AM
Avid

Sleep breaks the network connection and Bonjour. Sometimes restarting all EUCON Apps from the right click menu helps other times you have to restart the machine as Bonjour is broken(nothing to do with Avid). If you are familiar with Windows Services you can restart Bonjour Service instead of restating Windows.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:49 AM

I have the same problem, tho I on MacOS. Avid Control on my iPad has never been able to connect. More troubleshooting ideas?
Old 12-29-2021, 08:18 AM

In the end I abandoned the setup, it was getting too frustrating. Switched to a UF8 controller, which works quite nice.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:14 AM

Too late for you, but I run the Dock, iPad and Avid Control. I had some problems like yours initially, I had to make sure all of my computers were connecting to the same network and make sure that the computer and ipad had forgotten all other access points (otherwise they would search for others). For example, I have three different access points with a strong signal in my studio space. I had to manually make sure that the devices would forget them and not try to auto switch. You would think that assigning a static IP would prevent that, but it is possible that your networks were still mixed

After that, I never had any more problems. I did not assign static ip addresses. Just made sure that systems were not switching to other networks in the house.
Lenovo Legion 5 Laptop PC, Intel Hexa-Core i7-10750H, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Enterprise (20H2), 1TB SSD external work drive, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Pro Tools 2022.9, Avid Control w/Apple iPad, Avid Dock Control Surface, Avid S1.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslice View Post
Just made sure that systems were not switching to other networks in the house.
Thanks. That's good to know. I do have several networks. I had made sure the iPad was on the correct one, but I didn't go as far as deleting the others to make sure it wouldn't auto-switch, or temporarily join one before finding the other.

Jan