Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Default How many of you are using AOIP enabled converters?

Hi: I just want to know how many here are using Ravenna or Dante converters and how has been the experience so far.
I'm using a Merging HAPI AD/DA since last year with ProTools HD 11, now in 12.5 still works great, I usually work with 64 samples and the system is super stable. Being able to have the converters really close to the source and have just one Ethernet cable to the computer is priceless.

Any experiences you can share with other interfaces like the RedNet or similar?

Regards.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-06-2021, 05:48 AM

Default Re: How many of you are using AOIP enabled converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Hi: I just want to know how many here are using Ravenna or Dante converters and how has been the experience so far.
I'm using a Merging HAPI AD/DA since last year with ProTools HD 11, now in 12.5 still works great, I usually work with 64 samples and the system is super stable. Being able to have the converters really close to the source and have just one Ethernet cable to the computer is priceless.

Any experiences you can share with other interfaces like the RedNet or similar?

Regards.

Hello, I'm looking at hooking up a Merging Horus AD/DA converter to use with PT11 and up, I was wondering how in your experience can PT recognize an Aoip protocol through Core Audio in a straightforward way.

Thank you

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 Ghz 6 Core 48gb ram MacOS 10.9.5
PT 10HD + PT11
HD Core PCIe + HD Accel x2
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:39 AM

Yes I'm using Dante based hardware in my studio.
It is killer.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 12-06-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriFP View Post
Hello, I'm looking at hooking up a Merging Horus AD/DA converter to use with PT11 and up, I was wondering how in your experience can PT recognize an Aoip protocol through Core Audio in a straightforward way.

Thank you
Since you are looking a Merging, you have to have the Ravenna (software virtual) sound card installed. You'll have to get that from Merging. Then macOS just sees that virtual sound card as a Core Audio interface. And Pro Tools just talks to Core Audio.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Since you are looking a Merging, you have to have the Ravenna (software virtual) sound card installed. You'll have to get that from Merging. Then macOS just sees that virtual sound card as a Core Audio interface. And Pro Tools just talks to Core Audio.

ok this : https://www.ravenna-network.com/prod...-audio-device/
The whole set up doesn't seem to be that Mac OS friendly from what I can see on their support section.
Anyone having Mac based set ups to share ?
Also since one of the main feature of AoIP is networking, could I assume that one hardware unit could be connected, and used by more than one computer (one at a time) ?

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 Ghz 6 Core 48gb ram MacOS 10.9.5
PT 10HD + PT11
HD Core PCIe + HD Accel x2
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)

Last edited by DimitriFP; 12-06-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Also since one of the main feature of AoIP is networking, could I assume that one hardware unit could be connected, and used by more than one computer (one at a time) ?
Yes. One of the advantages. Especially for redundancy with recorders for critical work.

I have limited experience with Ravenna. Most AOIP I use is Dante. Hopefully a Ravenna daily user will chime in. Merging/Ravenna did have a bit of focus on the PC-side but I know with the Anubis, they have worked on more Mac support.

You'll want VAD for the virtual audio device
https://www.merging.com/support/downloads#macOS

And you'll want Aneman to patch between your hardware (virtual patchbay - how you connect things)
https://www.merging.com/support/downloads#aneman

These are both for Mac. If you need windows, then VAD changes to Merging's MAD software (which is ASIO for Windows). I believe all are free.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:41 AM

I'm using SoundGrid with a Digigrid IOS interface for multi-channel work.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:15 PM

Default How many of you are using AOIP enabled converters?

At Home:
Focusrite Red 8Pre with DVS and Via. Great for injecting desktop/browser audio and routing multiple audio sources for streaming/meetings.

At work:
DVS and Via again.

BSS Soundweb with Dante cards in five interfaces on a dedicated fiber network.

SSL Live primarily using MADI/Blacklight but also Dante for various playback sources and routing scenarios.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-14-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
The whole set up doesn't seem to be that Mac OS friendly from what I can see on their support section.
Anyone having Mac based set ups to share ?

I use the Merging Ravenna audio driver, currently in Mojave, but they support up to BigSur, so no issues in macOS.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins