Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Default Upgrade on laptop but not macpro?

My main protools rig is a MacPro (probably 5 years old). I installed PT9 when it came out and have made no upgrades to any software since as once I get a stable system, I prefer to not mess with it. This situation is still working great. However, I now am moving into doing more mobile recording (follow the money!) and have an Apogee Quartet on the way. Since the quartet isn't iOS ready I can't use my iPad and Garageband to capture the audio for a few months until it is. I can use my wife's mid 2010 MacBookPro running Mountain Lion in the meantime. This is the lowest cost short term solution. Which leads to my question. If I upgrade to PT10 so that it can run on the laptop, will my license and iLok require me to do the same on my MacPro? I'd rather not mess with my stable MacPro. Ideally I'd have PT on both the laptop and macpro so I could have a mobile PT rig with the Quartet but a lot of the recording I will be getting paid for will be dumped into FinalCutPro so it isn't necessary to do the job.

Thanks!

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM

The upgrade from 9 licence gives you a "bundled" 10&9 asset licence for this type of scenario (or if you wanted to install a new hd+os+pt in your machine while keeping your known working system for bacwards compatibility).

A brand new 10 licence is 10 only.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Upgrade on laptop but not macpro?

Great. I would only be purchasing the upgrade. So the one iLok can be used for both machines and it will be seamless?

When I looked at the upgrade it said it was only downloadable. Is that true? Since I live in the US in an urban area my download speeds are crap and it said it would take 7 hours to download (estimated). When I bought PT9 (crossgrade from LE) you could download but you also got the discs.

Thanks for the good news.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Yes, you can pop your iLok between your machines.

Double check, although the upgrade is download only, you might be able to buy an extra set of dvds...

Darryl Ramm