How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 02:03 AM

Default Sessions open without the EDIT window

Anyone else experienced this behavior?

A lot of folks at work have started complaining about not seeing the EDIT window upon opening a Session. They have to manually go Window -> Edit

I feel it started popping up in a recent macOS update, around Monterey 12.5 or maybe even with the latest 12.5.1

I'm not having this issue with High Sierra.

ProTools version 2022.7
macOS 12.5.1
Old 09-06-2022, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Sessions open without the EDIT window

Yes. I have noticed this on 2022.7, may have happened with earlier releases. Running macOS Monterey 12.5.1, on Intel MBP. But it has not been annoying enough to mess around trying to work out what is happening. if i get time...

if it is annoying folks have them file a support incident and post the case number here.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes. I have noticed this on 2022.7, may have happened with earlier releases. Running macOS Monterey 12.5.1, on Intel MBP. But it has not been annoying enough to mess around trying to work out what is happening. if i get time...

if it is annoying folks have them file a support incident and post the case number here.
Do you mean the edit widow is under the mix window or not opening at all ?

In any case
I am running PT 2022.6.0 on Monterey 12.5.1 on an Intel iMac (below) and it works fine so either a 2022.7 issue or system specific ?

I have downloaded 2022.7 so I may try it later this week and report back

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-06-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:43 PM

Mmm OK I was not going insane.

Pro Tools starting in 2022.6 at least on macOS seems to have changed the way it remembers and defaults Edit (and Mix) windows being open or not.

Starting with Pro Tools 2022.6. If you trash prefs and then open an existing session or create a new session neither the mix or edit window are displayed by default. Previously if you trashed prefs Pro Tools would always open the Edit window.

Also starting with Pro Tools 2022.6 if you save and close a session with both the mix and edit windows not visible (unchecked in the Window menu) then they will not be opened when you reopen the session. Prior versions of Pro Tools behaved differently. The logic actually appears to be a bit complicated and I'm not got time to check everything, but it appears that in versions 2005 and earlier that if you have a mix window open and the edit window closed, saved that session and then opened a session Pro Tool would get you back to what you had with only the mix window, if you had both Windows closed and saved and reopened a session then with 2022.5 and earlier it would open the edit window. (to me that's nice behavior, helps new users out does not leave them stranded with no window open, but it's arguable what the right behavior is).

And AFAIK this window open or closed info is saved in preferences not in the session... here "closing session" just get you to open the same or another next session to see what windows open when you open it. You are not closing the session to write window config data to it.

Users closing sessions with edit and/or mix windows open may not notice any difference in behavior. Which is why I suspect this has not come up on DUC already (or if it has I've missed it). Those creating lots of new sessions or trashing prefs etc. may notice this change in behavior.

Not the end of the world, but I think it's better behavior for new users to say start up by default with the edit window visible (maybe both visible) and hopefully help very new users avoid being totally lost.

I'm testing on MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 on an Intel MBP. Can check later on an Big Sur, but I doubt that is a factor.

Avid Support case #04497795. I have asked support if this was a deliberate change or not, and if it could just be returned to the previous behavior especially for new users -- but it's also a minor thing and Avid has lots of more important stuff to work on.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-09-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Users closing sessions with edit and/or mix windows open may not notice any difference in behavior. Which is why I suspect this has not come up on DUC already (or if it has I've missed it). Those creating lots of new sessions or trashing prefs etc. may notice this change in behavior.
Humm maybe I am not understanding what you are saying

And I have not trashed pref's

But--- in creating new blank sessions both windows appear,,, one on each of on my two displays , with edit on left and mix on right (note the right display (with the mix window showing) is also the one selected as the main display in my Mac settings )

With new sessions from my user templates they appear in what ever state they were in when I selected "Save As Template"
With any previous sessions, they also reopen in the state they were saved when closing

Also For me :: If I were only on one screen, my preference would be to open to the mix window (because I keep my edit window with only Comments- Inserts A-E, Sends A-E and I/O showing, because I like to have as much lateral screen real estate as possible )

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-07-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:19 PM

save a window configuration, recall, done.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:20 PM

Oops I did not explain that right.

As an example: Trash prefs, or close both windows and close session, then create a new session or open an existing session.

Old behavior was to give you an edit window, new behavior is you get no windows.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
save a window configuration, recall, done.
Except if your window configuration is no windows, or you have trashed prefs. You always used to be guaranteed an edit window at least. That behavior has changed and I can see it confusing very new users. Was the UX change deliberate or not?
Old 09-07-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Was the UX change deliberate or not?
I call it a bug
Old 09-07-2022, 02:20 PM

This has been happening intermittently to me.
I'm still on 2022.6, MacOS 12.5.1.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!