Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-12-2022, 11:22 AM

Default Midi editor greyed out!!

Hello,

Recently I purchased a 1-year subscription to Pro Tools Artist, and I'm getting to know the program a little bit, but I'm having this issue that my midi editor is greyed out when I try to use it in an Instrument track.

So I opened an Instrument track with the plugin Keyscape. Then I would like to fill in some notes inside the midi editor but nothing is happening!!?

I try to click on the keyboard on the left-hand side of the midi editor but there is no sound either.

Can somebody help me with this issue?

- Mahmoud (M-Sounds)
Old 09-12-2022, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Midi editor greyed out!!

I'm no midi expert, but AFAIK, the virtual keyboard is for reference and not for inputting notes. If you set the Instrument track to Notes view, then you can drop notes on either the Instrument track itself, OR on the Midi Editor piano roll(using either the Pencil tool or the Smart tool). With the Instrument track in Clips view, you must go to the Midi Editor window to drop notes(maybe its me, but I wish the default view was Notes, anyway)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2022, 05:44 PM

Welcome to the community.

The keyboard on the left of the MIDI Editor can be used to preview your VI, but to add MIDI notes... draw them in, play a MIDI Controller or use the virtual MIDI Keyboard (found in the Window menu) while recording, etc.

If that's not triggering sounds perhaps your Playback Engine or hardware isn't configured correctly, or that track is not assigned to the VI? It would likely help to get more info, so please reply with screenshots of your Mix window (with INSTRUMENT enabled - click the View Selector to then check/enable that) and Playback Engine window (Setup menu).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 5.08.30 PM.png (36.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post

The keyboard on the left of the MIDI Editor can be used to preview your VI, but to add MIDI notes... draw them in, play a MIDI Controller or use the virtual MIDI Keyboard (found in the Window menu) while recording, etc.

If that's not triggering sounds perhaps your Playback Engine or hardware isn't configured correctly, or that track is not assigned to the VI? It would likely help to get more info, so please reply with screenshots of your Mix window (with INSTRUMENT enabled - click the View Selector to then check/enable that) and Playback Engine window (Setup menu).
When I'm using the ''Mini grand'' plugin inside the instrument track, I can see the metering going up, but no sound!!

Here are a couple of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools foto 1.jpg (41.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pro tools foto 2.jpg (43.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:53 AM

First your screen shot is blurry and I can't read the text in it. Depending on your display you may want to reduce the resolution one step for screen shots
also as suggested do a screen shot of your mixer window

If you are getting signal from the mini grand showing in the track meters then you need to check your routing or your midi preferences and see what your "Default Thru Instrument" is showing
I always select "first selected MIDI track" that way with multiple instrument tracks I can just switch back and forth highlighting the track of the instrument I want to hear .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-13-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post

I have managed to fix the sound but still the ''Midi editor is still greyed out and I can't fill in notes!?
Old 09-13-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
First your screen shot is blurry and I can't read the text in it. Depending on your display you may want to reduce the resolution one step for screen shots
also as suggested do a screen shot of your mixer window

If you are getting signal from the mini grand showing in the track meters then you need to check your routing or your midi preferences and see what your "Default Thru Instrument" is showing
I always select "first selected MIDI track" that way with multiple instrument tracks I can just switch back and forth highlighting the track of the instrument I want to hear .
Yeah my bad about the picture.

But the issue is resolved. When I opened the midi editor it when to the click track instead of the instrument track I was using with the piano. I clicked the instrument track and I used the keyboard shortcut to go straight to the midi editor, thinking by myself it when to the instrument track.

Is there a faster way to go straight to the instrument track when highlighting it?

Thanks