Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Default 10 opening 9 session with EA rendering troublesome

It seems like Pro Tools 10 doesn't like Pro Tools 9 Elastic Audio rendered files too much.

When I try to open a mix I was working on in 9 HD with 12 tracks of Elastic Audio'd files (that are rendered), the session will open up, but it will say all the rendered files are missing! Why is that? They are all in the same audio file folder as all the rest. Why does 10 not see all of it?

So earlier I tried an auto search and that took FOREVER, so I cancelled it and just went to my tracks and put them back in "Rendered...." which made the files write again. AT that point, when playing, I get "DAE Error 35 encountered" - which means there's a disk problem...Nuh uh! Disk is fine. It just took a restart to make it all cool and play fine.

So now I just tried it again with a different session. THIS time, instead of auto searching, I just had Pro Tools "Skip" and re-render all the files to start with. Fine, but it took FOREVER - like way longer than 9 did originally when I finished my Elastic Audio editing. I sat and watched each file slowly re-render, a pretty long list of files. Took 5 minutes (not long I know but seemed like forever).

Once it finished re-rendering: "DAE Error 35 encountered" AGAIN! There's nothing wrong with this disk for sure, I've checked.

So I'm resaving the session in 10 and closing and restarting Pro Tools.

Is there some work left to do making 10 HD like 9 HD? I never had a problem with 9 opening 8 sessions....
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Re: 10 opening 9 session with EA rendering troublesome

So last night I was working on that 2nd session described above. Playing fine, all cool. Last thing I did before shutting down was import some session data from another session. I did NOT import any audio, only plugins, plugin settings and I/O settings. Imported fine, so I saved the session and shut down for the day.

This morning I open that same session and Pro Tools 10 has to take 90 seconds to recalculate ALL THE OVERVIEWS! What's the deal? After this, I hit play in a couple places. Then Pro Tools freezes, spinning beachball appears, and an hour later it's still spinning. So now I gotta force quit and try again.

Anybody else seeing any issues opening 9 sessions with Elastic Audio editing?
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM

Happened on a third session today. I'm in Pro Tools 10 HD. Open a 9 HD session I had previously worked on in 9, with elastic audio.

Pro Tools 10 says all the rendered files are "missing". So I skip and let it re-render.

Starts doing it, then hangs. Beachball spins. I have to Force Quit.

Not good. I'm reinstalling Pro Tools 10 clean and see what happens.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 AM

I just spent the last hour trying to open a fourth session. This is crazy.

The session would open fine, but it would still say all the rendered files were missing (18). So I selected "Skip all" and "regenerate rendered files without searching"

I did this 3 times, and each time Pro Tools 10 would hang during the re-render process. I'd have to force quit.

So out of desperation, I just went to the session folder and nuked the waves cache file, the Rendered Audio Folder, and then I opened the session holding Shift down to disable all the plugins. This time I just selected SKIP ALL and did not check "regenerate....without searching".

So now the task window is STILL open and it says it's rendering files. I can only think that the engineers decided to rename "Calculating waveform" to "regenerating". But at least now everything is flying by. THEN I START GETTING "DAE Error 35 encountered" which is the disk error message. Sheesh, why is 10 so sensitive. I just ignore this message and let the task manager continue on in the background. Once it's done, I do a save as and close the thing down, otherwise I'd get the Dae Error 35 every time I hit play.

Digi Tech are you seeing any of this? This is a really serious pain, jumping through all these hoops just to open a version 9 session!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcstudio View Post
I can only think that the engineers decided to rename "Calculating waveform" to "regenerating".
Well, that's not right because upon opening this session again after saving and quitting Pro Tools to solve the DAE Error 35's, the task manager window opens again and spends 90 seconds "calculating overviews".

What's going on? The overviews were there when I saved the session 2 minutes ago (after all that "rendering").
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Looks like I'm just talking to myself on this one

Anyway, my workaround on the rendering problem is this. When I open an older (like a week ago) session that is PT 9 HD, with Elastic Audio rendering on it, when the dialog box comes up (and it ALWAYS does) saying that 18 or so rendered files are missing, I select "Skip ALL" and I do NOT check re-render files without searching.

As soon as I hit OK, I go up to the Task Window (and it is always open, ready to re-render those tracks, calculate waveforms etc) and I immediately "Pause All".

Then I go down to my Elastic Audio tracks and switch them all from "Rendered Processing" to "Real Time Processing".

Then I go back to the Task Window and un-pause everything. Now it is analyzing and recalculating wave overviews and simple stuff like that.

Once the task window is DONE, I go back to my Elastic Audio tracks and switch them back to "Rendered Processing". Then the tracks will flash and do their thing. In about 90 seconds, it's all done and I'm working. NO DAE 35 errors, no crashing, no freezing.

I don't know why this works, but it does. This is after trashing all the prefs, Digi Setup, taking out every plugin I could find that might be questionable (I read here that the TDM Sony Oxford plugins were problematic).

I've opened up 2 sessions from the same drive and project as the difficult ones above. When I follow the routine I came up with I get no errors and no crashing. It's been rock solid for 2 days now. I'm back to normal. And no longer thinking I made a mistake by upgrading!

I should talk to myself more often......
Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM

So have I waited long enough for a response from Digi on this?

My work around is working pretty well, although I still get some DAE 35 Error encountered messages when Pro Tools 10 is analyzing the audio files (even without the rendered processing on the EA tracks).

Is this something that anyone is aware of or experiencing? This is happening to me every single time I open a Pro Tools 9 HD session that has Elastic Audio editing in it with the audio tracks in "rendered processing". Every time.

Pro Tools 9 sessions with NO Elastic Audio tracks in "rendered processing" mode open fine, even if the tracks have Elastic Audio editing. If the tracks are in "real time processing", Pro Tools 10 has no problem opening the session.

Anyone?? I'd like to know that this is in the line up for fixing....
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 AM

This is all that is addressed concerning Elastic Audio in the PT10 Mac Read Me file...

When Opening Legacy Sessions (Pro Tools 9 and Lower) in Pro Tools 10, Any Rendered Elastic Audio Clips Are Automatically Re-rendered (PTSW-139989)
Rendered Elastic Audio clips created in legacy sessions need to be re-rendered for use in Pro Tools 10. Re-render of these files occurs automatically when the session is opened in Pro Tools 10.

Fades on Elastic Audio-Enabled Tracks May Not Regenerate when Opening Sessions Created with Pro Tools 10 in Pro Tools 9.0.x (PTSW-152949)
When saving a copy of a Pro Tools 10 session to v7-v9 and opening the copy in Pro Tools 9.x, some fades might not be regenerated even if you select the option to re-generate fades without searching. If this happens, closing and re-opening the session causes the missing fades to regenerate.

Certain Audio Files Cannot Be Calculated or Cleared of Elastic Analysis in Workspace Browser (PTSW-29622)
There are some rare cases where a file will have a file suffix of a file format supported by Elastic Audio (either .WAV or .AIF), but the Pro Tools Workspace Browser will not allow calculation or clearing of elastic analysis. The browser menu items Calculate Elastic Analysis and Clear Elastic Analysis will be greyed out. In these cases, the file may actually be in a non-supported format. To check the file’s format, look at the Format column in the Workspace browser. If a file format other than WAV or AIFF is shown (such as QuickTime), then the file cannot be calculated or cleared of elastic analysis. Note that these non-supported files can still be previewed in tempo, as well as elasticized once imported into a session.

It sounds as though you're doing everything you can do. Hope this issue gets fixed for you. I haven't quite got up enough courage to do the upgrade yet. Waiting to see the full range of potential issues I may encounter before jumping off the edge of the cliff. Fingers crossed...LOL Good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 AM

Sorry, one more brief thing from that same Read Me file...

Mixer and Elastic Audio Plug-ins from lower versions of Pro Tools are not compatible with Pro Tools 10 (PTSW-136983)

The Mixer and Elastic Audio Plug-ins from lower versions of Pro Tools are not compatible with Pro Tools 10.0. If you encounter an error indicating that these plug-ins are corrupted please re-run the Pro Tools 10 installer to ensure that the correct plug-ins are installed.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Good info.

Because of another thread, I did check to make sure only ONE Elastic Audio plugin was in my plugins folder, and that it was the Pro Tools 10 version. So that's done.

PT 10 does indeed try to auto re-render any version 9 Elastic Audio tracks and that's what causes the problems. So far, on 11 different sessions, this will cause a crash unless I intervene and stop the auto rerendering. You can see my process in an earlier entry in this thread.

Again, I don't want to be a whiner, but it seems like this thread and my other thread (about PT 10 outputs randomly muting) would be worthy of a Digi Tech response. They are well written, with good grammar, succinct yet detailed in description of problem and workaround. And my specs are listed. I suppose I could just pick up the phone and call.......