Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Digi approved software that contains orchestral instruments?

I'm looking for software that is approved by Digidesign that has quality orchestral instruments on it. I have XPand!, but that has samples and synth sounds. What if I want to have violins, oboes, and a harp? What software do you recommend that is Digi approved? Thanks for your help!

Jason
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Digi approved software that contains orchestral instrume

Structure

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Structure ships with East West Quantum Leap Orchestral Elements, which is probably a 'best of' or similar package of the East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra library, which is excellent imho(I use Platinum Pro XP, personally)... The 30-day trial of Goliath probably has some good orchestral stuff in there, too!! I will know for sure when my copy arrives, but I also think the EWQLSO is a great package, and it works fine in Pro Tools(Either through KOMPAKT or KONTAKT!).
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 AM

Propellerhead Reason might interest you too. Their initial libraries are rather impressive, although I will vouch for the fact that a lot of them require some minimal tweaking once loaded, but the software itself is rock-solid stable, surprisingly doesn't gobble a whole lot of cpu power, and it has a lot of options for re-routing your signal flow as though you're working with a real patchbay.

As far as it's mastering toolset, that's where I'd personally recommend to let ProTools take over.... Reason is best left to sample creation for your MIDI data in my opinion

Propellerhead recently released some really great libraries of multi-miced, hyper-sampled Steinway and Yamaha pianos (1.5GB of wav data haha), and another with 5GB of hyper-sampled instruments like the Mannborg Harmonium and Mellotron M400 from Abbey Road. Both sound really impressive from my dabbling with them.

Komplete has some great libraries too... where Reason failed, Komplete shined; most notibably, it's Fender Rhodes vs. Reason's. In Reason I've worked with about 10 different Rhodes patches (have yet to try ReasonRhodes though), and have been less than satisfied, but Komplete's was wonderful from the get go; had the warmth and lushness, without having too sharp of bite on the keys.

There's a ton of samplers out there, and they're all pretty good, in my opinion Kompact/Komplete and Reason leading the pack for their wonderful libraries and open-endedness, and of course complete compatibility with ReWire even on PT 7.3.1

It's up to you hehe

EDIT: Structure looks pretty cool too... never heard about it before. Would be interested to putz around with it. My comments are only from those apps I've worked with. Maybe Structure will change that :P
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM

StavroSound, how do you setup your Native Instruments Komplete 4 in Pro Tools 7.3, such as when you are using two are more Instruments(such as maybe the B4 II and maybe the Akoustik Piano) tracks or Midi Tracks, and can you get those two instruments to play on different Midi Channels?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM

It's been a while since I used Komplete, but if I recall, when you load up ReWire as an insert, there's a drop down list of channels, or devices, to assign to that insert (corresponding to your Komplete session's channels or devices).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Digi approved software that contains orchestral instruments?

One of my friends is using Philharmonik and likes it a lot. It doesn't seem like a super high-powered instrument, but a nice basic orchestral virtual instrument.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Komplete has many individual VI's, and also supports the RTAS format. There's no need to use ReWire, and you can of course instantiate the VI's on separate instrument or aux tracks.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Yeah thats what im trying to do "PTLOVER," Thats where im currently having my problem at, like im using it as an RTAS Insert in different Instrument Channels, placing like the B4 II on Instrument(Midi Channel 1) and the Akoustik Piano on Instrument(Midi Channel 2), but all i hear is the Akoustik Piano on Midi Channels 1-16, even though they are properly assigned(im guessing, since i have been running and touring and MPC 2000XL for 9 years MIDI'ed up to two other keyboards).

Also, thanks Starvosound for your help.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

You say you use different instrument channels? You mean two separate tracks, right? If yes, that's correct. Now, with B4 II instantiated on one instrument track and Akoustik Piano on another instrument track you should be able to record them separately.

Check that the MIDI output box shows the correct routing. For B4 II it should say something like "B4 II - number of MIDI channel". For Akoustik Piano it should say something like "Akoustik Piano - number of MIDI channel".