Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-25-2005, 03:10 AM

Default AVID Mojo Is it me? Urgent

Hi All,
I just moved up from using a Canopus ADVC-100 to the Mojo.
The first thing I noticed is you can't record from DV into PT directly but only through an analog signal.
I recieve a lot on Beta but nowadays even more on DV. I guess that means you have to use Avid Free which doesn't work on "Tiger"
or buy Avid Express.

Anyway I have been able to record with no problem using the S- Video in on the Mojo from the beta with Sync I/O online.

I hooked up to an external monitor directly through the composite out on the Mojo and also set the output in PT to the same.
Well no picture. In the PDF provided it says you can do that. But the the PDF download on the Digi site it say either you must run it through a video deck first or use the componet cables which I didn't buy. Why? Because I only use the video for mixing and sync.
I then lay the sound back onto the master tape. So I figured I wouldn't need a top grade picture.

Yes, I have a seperate fire wire card for the Mojo

What am I doing wrong?

As always I would really appreciate the help.

Mitch

G5 Dual 2.0 2GB Ram
3 Seagate Firewire Drives

Mac OSX 10.3.9
PT 6.9.1
HD2 Accel
Sync I/O
96 I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Digi Translator 2
Machine Control
Avid Mojo
Surround Setup

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 09-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: AVID Mojo Is it me? Urgent

It should work the way you describe.

Mojo is supposed to support a DV camera, but you might be right that Pro Tools does not. I've never thought to try it.

You must connect the Mojo to the computer's firewire connection, nowhere else. Put your drives on the firewire PCI card. I'm not sure if that is what you said you are doing.

To troubleshoot the analog connections:
* Be certain you have selected composite video out, not component video out, and then exit Pro Tools. Power cycle the Mojo. Do you see anything on the composite monitor? There should be an Avid graphic. If there is, your cable is right.

* If you've gotten the Avid graphic, there must be something else wrong. Can Pro Tools show you snap shots on the video track timeline? If yes, you've got something digitized. If not, you don't.

Let me know....
Old 09-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Richard,
Before I even saw your post I switched the firewire connections and put the Mojo on the Mac bus and the firewire drives on the PCI card. It works fine. You were right. The crazy thing is that AVID says to use it on the card and Digi the oppisite.

My new problem is now what do I do with my Firewire 800 drive with my whole sound effects library on it. The Firewire 800 port is on the same bus as the AVID. I have an adapetr for it. But then I'LL BE AT 400.

The thing is now my firewire drives on the PCI card are flying. I've noticed an incredible increase in speed!

The fact that I can't import DV through the MOJO using firewire is annoying. I can't go out the composite ports on the DV deck because I won't have a video reference. i.e no sync.

On AVID you can defintely use the DV option.

So I'll have to use iMovie or AVID free to import my DV video. I can live with that.

For Beta the MOJO is amazing.

Thanks Richard for your quick reply

Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 AM

Glad to hear its working now.

Are you on a PC? Avid's documentation talks about PCI cards with Windows XP, but not Mac. Direct connection to the Mac's internal firewire bus is required, with all other devices NOT on the same bridge chip, meaning for a Mac user that you MUST put other firewire devices on a PCI firewire card. I sympathize with you about loosing firewire 800, but for me there was not a tremendous difference in performance between 800 and 400, at least the Lacie drives I tried on the G5. I only use firewire drives for backup and effects library so I didn't really feel the pain.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 AM

Hi Richard,
No, I'm on a G5. Like I said the drives are now flying on the PCI card.
I know about the G5 bus situation. I take it you're using SCSI drives.
To be honest. My EZ-Quest Cobra 800 drive seems faster on the 400 PCI card than it was on the Mac 800 bus.
Strange.

The one thing I can say. With all the complications and computer mishaps I really love my job.

Be good,
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi