Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Default focusrite forte or usb port problems ?

just purchased the forte based on its low noise preamps however plugged it in and seems to have alot of buzzing and static noise like wind.

i have tried both usb ports, different cables, mics but no better.

i actually swapped the duet 2 for this for the same problem and dont know if its just due to it being a usb interface as i didnt have problems with firewire.

i have also tried di box which got rid of the hum but not the white noise.

could it be my usb ports and if so are there any diagnostic checks or fixes. Or are other people experiencing the same problem with the forte.

Just figured for £400 this wouldnt be a problem.

running on macbook pro. any help would be appreciated
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Re: focusrite forte or usb port problems ?

I run PT 10 with Forte with no issues. The preamps and outputs are clean and quiet.

Did you check for grounding problems?

Do you run the forte with the power supply or off of the USB bus power?

Is the Macbook Pro connected to the mains?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried with the forte power supply on and off. Obviously I can't access the mics without the mains but it does sound crystal clear just bus powered when listening to mixes or iTunes. When I plug in the mains the increase in gain is still fantastic but when I hit 48v phantom on the forte and crank it up I notice a hum and a high pitched sound like someone's blowing in the mic.

I connected a di box and it completely took out the hum ur was still left with the wind noise.

The increment its really noticeable is 41-47db gain. This was the same for duet2. I have checked all cables and mics but the noise stil constant.

My last interfaces were FireWire and seemed fine but don't really want to go back to a saffire 24.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM

The MacBook wasn't connected to the mains at any time with the duet or forte. 1st time with duet nothing was plugged in.
Forte, just the forte power supply plugged into a 7way power adaptor, for monitors, LCD screen and external hhd. Etc
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 PM

There's nothing wrong with the fact that it's USB vs. firewire. USB interfaces have been working great for years.

I would suggest contacting Focusrite Support.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I would suggest contacting Focusrite Support
I wouldn't count on it. I am afraid that Focusrite support is virtually nonexistent... I've had a problem with the firmware update in the beginning and luckily solved it eventually by myself. I have sent 2 support requests via their contact support page and still haven't got any response.. That was about 4 months ago. My Forte is working perfectly and I am really really happy with it, but if you have any problem, it's either work it out by yourself or throw your product in the garbage...

Anyway, about the noise, I suspect it is not an interface problem.

Is the noise there if you crank the gain up with no microphone connected?

Sounds like an interference from somewhere in your environment or bad grounding.

Did you try it anywhere else besides your room? Other rooms? Other apartments? Outdoors? I would try that first...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Worth a shot to run the Forte with ASIO4ALL instead of the given driver....

If it works its fixed and If it doesn't your not backpeddling, so worth a shot.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Sorry.... just realized you are on a MAC.... Never mind then.

Last edited by jasonthurley; 04-17-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Focusrite

boabyd23, If you are running Mountain Lion it would be worth seeing if the driver linked here might fix your problem. If you are still having these problems with your Forte please don't hesitate to Contact us and we will be able to help you get this sorted.

shtik, I am sorry to hear you had bad experience with our technical support, we reply to every email sent in via our contact support form. If you did not receive a bounce back email straight away with a case number we would have not received you email, did you ever get one?

Elliot // Focusrite Technical Support
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your response,

Apparently there is an issue with support request getting to their destination.

I never got a confirmation email after sending a support request. That has happened twice soon after I got the unit.

Recently I have found another problem, clearly a workmanship defect of the input loom. So I sent a request about 30 minutes ago, followed by this message:

"Your enquiry has been submitted successfully! You will now receive a confirmation email and be assigned a case number. Please check your email for this message and reply with any additional information requested. This will allow us to deal with your inquiry as efficiently as possible.
Please note: Depending on your email account settings the confirmation email could be marked as spam. If you do not receive a response in the next few minutes, please check any junk mail folders."

I am constantly checking my email and spam folder and I see nothing. I don't remember what happened at the previous times, but I suspect that this is what happened before.

How can I get support if There is a problem with the normal route?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Focusrite

boabyd23- This sounds like you are experiencing a ground loop issue. Ground loops are sometimes hard to figure out because each is so different depending on the particular location, it's power, and what devices you are plugging in.

To begin trying to troubleshoot a ground loop start by making sure every device is plugged into the same power strip, so that they are all sharing the same ground potential. If you are already doing this, or try it and still have a problem, then you can begin trying to isolate devices from that ground.

As you have stated that when you unplug the Forte's Power Supply the hum goes away you may want to plug that into a separate wall outlet or investigate something like the HumX below.

Next you could try separating the power of the speakers to another wall socket across the room, using an extension cord, or seeing if your speakers have a ground lift switch on them.

We do not recommend using a ground lift which converts a three prong plug to a two prong plug, as this can lead to safety issues. We do recommend safe ground solutions such as the Ebtech Hum X: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/

You can also place a ground lift on the XLR to each of your speakers to break the ground loop between the speakers and computer while keeping both devices safely grounded: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Lifter/

Please let us know if you need any further assistance with this, with as much detail as possible about what powered devices you are running and what wall ports/power strips they are plugged into in your studio.

You are also welcome to contact us on our Contact Support page for further assistance.

Shtik- I will be sending you a PM about this problem here on Avid DUC. Thank you.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/