Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Default 5.1 files in Soundminer

I would like to save some 5.1 backgrounds I made to Soundminer and be able to drop them back into Pro Tools for use. I tried exporting them as "stereo" files, thinking they would be 5.1 interleaved. But when I drop them back into Pro Tools from S.M., I only get 3 mono tracks in the region list.

Any ideas?

Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Re: 5.1 files in Soundminer

Okay, I think I figured it out! Instead of using the "S" command, I used the "send to" arrow icon at the top of the window, and it sent it down the transfer path to the region list in Pro Tools as a 5.1 interleaved file. It comes in as LCR,LsRs,Sub instead of the SMPTE format, but I can deal with that!

Hope this helps someone else.

:)

Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM

Hi, yes it comes in as LCRLsRsLfe - if somebody knows why - please explain it to me:) I've tried to change that, but it seems unconfigurable? :)
Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muks View Post
Hi, yes it comes in as LCRLsRsLfe - if somebody knows why - please explain it to me:) I've tried to change that, but it seems unconfigurable? :)

PT only supports this format. I wish it would import SMPTE BWAVs but it doesn´t.

frank.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
Okay, I think I figured it out! Instead of using the "S" command, I used the "send to" arrow icon at the top of the window, and it sent it down the transfer path to the region list in Pro Tools as a 5.1 interleaved file. It comes in as LCR,LsRs,Sub instead of the SMPTE format, but I can deal with that!

Hope this helps someone else.

:)

Mike
Spot ("S") works fine as well. I use it every day. What kind of track are you spotting to?
PT does not support interleaved files. You have to set SoundMiner to split-mono in the transfer prefs.

frank.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 AM

Also be careful that no VST plugs are in the chain. Most (if not all) will create a stereo stream in PT despite your surround source files. When I have interleaved multichannel stuff that I want to xfer (more than two channels) I still perform the "reveal in finder" command, and drag and drop manually. But, that's just me.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Spot ("S") works fine as well. I use it every day. What kind of track are you spotting to?
PT does not support interleaved files. You have to set SoundMiner to split-mono in the transfer prefs.

frank.
Frank, are you spotting the 5.1 tracks directly to a 5.1 track on your edit window in Pro Tools? If so, are you then moving the tracks around to get the SMPTE track layout, or are you working in "Film" tracks layout (LCRLsRsLfe)?

Mike
Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM

I seem to recall the previous version (3) of Soundminer would let you choose the sort order, film, smpte, DTS .

I noticed they didn't put that into V4.

Are you using V4Pro?
Definitely a feature request for the Soundminer folks.

A personal thanks to you Mr. McDonough.
I can't tell you how many times I've used your sfx(6039) for my productions over the years.
It must be great to hear your stuff being used thousands of times a day.

Cheers
Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

PT is all about the "Film" 5.1 track order while Media Composer is default to output in SMTPE/ITU. I can't help but find that funny. :)

My problem is trying to "Spot To DAW" with non-interleaved individual 5.1 tracks from a production elements library. It will only spot the L track. I have to "Reveal Selected" in SoundMiner and group drag the individual tracks to 6 mono tracks (to make sure the track order is Film) and then drag those to a 5.1 track. Not as convenient as spotting really.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Yeah, let's hope Digi/Avid gets the SMPTE order going for Pro Tools at last one of these days...

My 5.1 outputs are SMPTE order, so LR are mapped the same and there's no repatching or rerouting to work in stereo. It just makes sense. (to me, anyway.)

As for Soundminer, the surround track order of files stored in the database can be stored on a per-sound basis, in the "ChannelLayout" field. Look at the SM documentation for the format, or write Steve if you can't find it. It's important to put the right format in that field, or else your files might be delivered into Pro Tools with the wrong assignments.

-jeremiah