Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Default I am tired of being a Beta tester

I just upgraded to 6.7cs4 and I lost zoom capability.
PT doesn't zoom like it use to.
The pencil tool doesn't work anymore. I can't zoom in close enough.
And Time adjuster doesn't update. and......and......

You should really start regulating yourselves before laws get passed. I have always been a big Digi supporter. I follow your recomendations with OS's and hardware. However this is getting silly. If you need beta testers. I would do it for free gear and run it on a different partition.

I feed my family with the use of your software. Please, please, please stop putting out products that are not fully tested.

Thanks for listening to me vent,
Walt Mecleary
Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: I am tired of being a Beta tester

I totally agree. 6 kernel panics since updating to cs4 just redoing every thing over & over again. If I look at my rig it will crash. I can just be doing the most simple non taxing thing and it will crash! With the money spent on Digi this is not acceptable.
THIS TOTALY SUCKS!

G4 1.25 dual mdd
2 gigs of memory
HD core card
3 Accel cards
4 firewire drives
Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 PM

I guess I'll stick to 6.4 for a little longer. Sorry you guys are having such a hard time.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:24 PM

I'm still on 6.2!
I have had two kernel panics since I got MP3.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:29 PM

McMasters,

You need to stop updating your software because Digi doesn't have their act together and the beta testers they use must be incapable. What Digi is trying to do is save money and time by releasing experimental software for you to test. Stop updating and use a version that’s stable and stick with it until Digi works most bugs then move slowly to the next version.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
I just upgraded to 6.7cs4 and I lost zoom capability.
PT doesn't zoom like it use to.

And Time adjuster doesn't update. and......and......

You should really start regulating yourselves before laws get passed. I have always been a big Digi supporter. I follow your recomendations with OS's and hardware. However this is getting silly. If you need beta testers. I would do it for free gear and run it on a different partition.

I feed my family with the use of your software. Please, please, please stop putting out products that are not fully tested.

Thanks for listening to me vent,
Walt Mecleary
Hi Walt,

I'd like to assist you in restoring the sustinance to your family.........so I'd like to know more about your PT problems:
- "lost zoom capability"? (works fine for me with any version of 6.7)
- "PT doesn't zoom like it use to." (what does this mean? please describe)
- The pencil tool doesn't work anymore. I can't zoom in close enough. (please describe - "doesn't work"???)
- "And Time adjuster doesn't update"? (Please detail- again.)

With regards to your other comments about Digi's release approach, and your desire to beta test for us, I will forego any response at this time.

I want to fully understand your work-blocking issues IN DETAIL so we can help you get back to work (and feed your family).

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 12-16-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
McMasters,
Digi doesn't have their act together and the beta testers they use must be incapable.
Have you spoken to any of the beta testers? I have. They (the ones I know of) are very skilled at their craft and know PT very well and use it under pressure. With all the changes in Apple OS there has to be new code written for PT. I honestly don't know how Digi Tech can keep up. Once they isolate a fix Apple ships a new version of OS.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Digi doesn't have their act together and the beta testers they use must be incapable.
the one person i know of who used to be a beta tester is a smart, very experienced power user who shares his knowledge on this forum. sarcasm without knowledge is an ugly and useless thing. thing is, i have problems with PT as well, but consider all the different cpu environments and os updates there are, not to mention the people who have a lot of junk in their system. (i am not speaking of the person who started this thread.) is it any wonder that releases don;'t work for everyone? why don't poepl pick up the phone and call tech support for some interactive help. it has worked for me. most of the people at tech support are pretty helpful.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-17-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
With all the changes in Apple OS there has to be new code written for PT. I honestly don't know how Digi Tech can keep up. Once they isolate a fix Apple ships a new version of OS.
Are we to feel sorry for digi?

Digi doesn't approve use of an apple os update for months after it is available. 6.7 was released and approved for mac 10.3.5, right? I'd imagine most of us are willing to hold back on the latest and greatest from apple to keep protools happy, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Why is it so difficult for digi to keep up with apple? I don't notice near the issues with apple os updates and other software (flash, fcp).
Old 12-17-2004, 12:54 AM

What else can I say. The Zoom only works so far. I use to be able to zoom in to the wave until the wave becomes a single line. And by use to I mean yesterday before upgraded to cs4. And no I don't have any goofy apps installed, the mac is my bread and butter. So I keep it clean.

The very first day I got the MASSIVE pack and installed 6.7 I found the Time Adjuster bug. The call is logged and on record at digi. The zoom/pencil thing is new. Which I found after-hours so I posted here. And there was a problem with waves v5 ren eq and the automation which creates digital clicks when automating a frequency sweep with PT 6.7cs3. Which I have yet to get back and do further testing. I just use McDSP stuff for automation things.

And that is my point. I don't want to have to go back to test sessions and find out why things don't work. I really have enough on my plate. I would much rather be in bed right now. I don't like to have to come to this forum to find solutions.

Digi use to be great at recommending compatible systems. I don't know what to say. Back in the day tech support would normally have some work around for the occasional bug. Now I get the "we're aware of the problem and were working on it." or "it'll be fixed in the next cs update"

And as for the beta testers, Dude, the time adjuster does not update the mixer box that shows the latency. (oop's) I have another thread posting that bug. Digi tech is also aware of it. So either the beta missed it or somebody up the chain let it slide. Both are unacceptable. If you do something do it once and do it right.

Somebody or some department is not doing their best at their job. I don't know whether it's the testers, the programmers or the bean counters, or the CEO's at AVID. But what it is translating to is a product that is being released to early to the public. I got strong armed into an "offer is only good until Oct 30th" then I get a product that is not fully ready. The number of cs packs to date proves it.

Now don't get me wrong I still am on the Digi bandwagon. Their products let me do amazing things with audio. I have been with you for years and I am witness to the exponentially increasing change of pace Digi has taken from rumored development to the point of sale.

If you say a product is able to do “X” then it should be able to do it. I don’t like the whole CS update thing.
I mean 6.4 is up to what??? CS-seven hundred and four or eleven

I feel like I am back on my PC programs again. Wondering what app is going to conflict with what driver.
Now I have to be up in 4 hours and I am out of subject matter to rant about.

Just food for thought.
G’night All