Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 03:45 PM

Default How to contact Digidesign support (002)

Hello,

I just purchased a 002, and already have run into a issue I need Customer Support for. I searched this site, and the only thing I found was a entry form which I did. I got a reponse, but then had to re-enter all my data back into the entry form because Digidesign doesn't communicate via email.

Should I be calling a phone number somewhere? Entering my data in each time I want to respond to their help seems really dumb. How do you all get help?

Thanks
Jason
Old 12-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Default Re: How to contact Digidesign support (002)

hi Jason - don't email them if you need support, ring them up straight away. You have to register your 002 in order to get support via phone, though - you'll get free support for 90 days as from day of purchase. Digis technical support phone numbers are in your registration leaflet which you should have received along with your 002 when you purchased it.

(damn i should really consider working in sales for digi!!!!! )

Nad
Old 12-04-2003, 04:38 PM

Cool, thanks! Man, 90 days, that totally stinks! For $2000+ purchase cost I would expect at least a year support for free!! Short timeframes like that make me nervous, leads me to believe the company has no faith in their products....

Thanks for the help

Jason
Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 PM

My understanding is that if the problem is hardware based, you get support for the length of the warranty. The 90 day window is just for general support.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:51 PM

Alot of things stink about Digi. Let give you prime example: A customer has been using PTLE with the 001 for about a year. Everytime the lightpipe in is used during that period, the blue screen of death appears. No fix exists. Even though it happens repeatedly to several DUCers and for a while is a hot thread topic, Digi doesn't even acknowledge the problem exists.

So, coming to an understanding of what kind of company Digi is, the customer bites his lip, saves his money and upgrades to the new 002r. He reads the compatibilty documents, buys the Digi recommended laptop, installs 6.1.1 (a nightmare for more than a few users) and for 2 days is somewhat happy (some minor weird things happening), but overall is optimistic that at some point PT will perform as advertised. Note that the customer is careful, no internet on the computer; he doesn't even hook it to the internet to check it out, it was bought for PT and nothing more.

Then the moment of truth! ---- !!! ---- !! (extended drama). The customer lightpipes in a digital signal from the synth module. It's beautiful, it works, it records. But then it's time to shut down the computer. The Blue Screen appears with several paragraphs of information that can be summed up in a word--[bleep] (Digiland is always in primetime so you can't say [bleep]; they bleep it out--now there's some irony for you). The only way to shut her down is to pull the battery. The customer is too pissed off to eat supper. He knows what's in store for him--waiting on the phone, taking notes when tech help speaks, dutifully trying what's offered, calling back to say it didn't work, and waiting on the phone some more at 4 cents a minute.

As you might be able to tell, I'm an unhappy customer and shouldn't even be allowed near the welcome wagon. But all of the above nothwithstanding, welcome to the DUC. You'll find some great help here and will meet some good folks. I won't be much help because as soon as I finish this note, I'm going to throw my new computer in the North Platte and then jump in after it (just kidding, I'm going to beer and try to get this off my mind).

Old 12-04-2003, 10:06 PM

Wow, I truly hope that your experience is very unusual. I really don't want to think I just purchased a $2000 lemon with no support. I haven't had any dealings yet, so I can't make an honest opinion on support, but so far they seem okay.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running? The blue screen of death is something I haven't seen since moving to Win XP Pro, so I'm hoping you are on ME or 2000.

Thanks
Jason
Old 12-04-2003, 10:11 PM

Esteban's story is not typical at all.. and I'd wager his problems were system related. I run a Mix Plus, an MBox and an 002 without any problems. The 002 has had some power harness issues, which have been handled very efficiently in the US - and I'd assume will be abroad as well. Read the warranty card which came with your 002 - in the U.S. you have a one year warranty on hardware. Make sure that you register your product for upgrades and product support.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 PM

Yes, my problems are system related; I bought a Digi system.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Wow, I truly hope that your experience is very unusual. I really don't want to think I just purchased a $2000 lemon with no support. I haven't had any dealings yet, so I can't make an honest opinion on support, but so far they seem okay.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running? The blue screen of death is something I haven't seen since moving to Win XP Pro, so I'm hoping you are on ME or 2000.

Thanks
Jason
I'm happily running a 001 on a "Hermaphrodite" Asus A7M266-M that was made for HP as an OEM product. It has a proprietary Phoenix BIOS and is a “Micro” ATX motherboard. This thing is so stable it’s scary, I’m afraid to upgrade the CPU from a XP2100 to a 2400. I have a new XP1900 CPU here for a new net machine (using a Celeron 800 on a Asus P2-B motherboard) and thinking about getting a Asus A7V600 for my PT machine and putting the A7M266 in my net machine and using the P2B/Celeron for a softsynths machine….. but I start shaking in my boots every time I read the DUC about all the problems you guys have using some of the newer chipset/motherboard combos. I found a lot of 7 – A7M266’s NIB for $30 each at a surplus supplier this week, before I could call, somebody else bought ‘em all. Pardon my rambling, but read the Digi compatibility docs thoroughly before building/buying a new machine and the maybe you wont need the crappy tech support. YMMV
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 12-04-2003, 03:52 PM

You can find them HERE
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12