Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 AM

Default Pro Tools 11HD license and Satellite Link

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could help me clear out what the HD11 licence includes. I am particularly interested in the Video Satellite option that seems to come along PT11HD.

From what I understand the HD11 license includes a license to unlock HD10, Pro Tools + CPTK, Satellite Link and Video Satellite. Would this be correct?

If that would be the case, would I be able to slave a PT10HD system via Satellite Link, without having to purchase a separate Satellite Link iLok license?

Thanks all
Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11HD license and Satellite Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could help me clear out what the HD11 licence includes. I am particularly interested in the Video Satellite option that seems to come along PT11HD.

From what I understand the HD11 license includes a license to unlock HD10, Pro Tools + CPTK, Satellite Link and Video Satellite. Would this be correct?

If that would be the case, would I be able to slave a PT10HD system via Satellite Link, without having to purchase a separate Satellite Link iLok license?

Thanks all

That's pretty much correct, other than the terminology. HD11 gives you HD10, which unlocks the extra features in PT10, which is the same as having PT10 and the CPTK.

And yes, you no longer need to purchase an Ilok license for Satellite and Video Satellite LE, as long as the admin system is PT11. Video Satellite LE can be two non-HD systems, but I'm pretty sure Satellite Link still only works with two HD hardware systems.

Again, in either case, the system designated as admin must be PT11.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
And yes, you no longer need to purchase an Ilok license for Satellite and Video Satellite LE, as long as the admin system is PT11. Video Satellite LE can be two non-HD systems, but I'm pretty sure Satellite Link still only works with two HD hardware systems.

Again, in either case, the system designated as admin must be PT11.
I hear you nst7. Thanks for clarifying that. It makes sense.

That's a bummer for me as I am still non-HDX, plus I am on 2.1 8-core Macs, hence not supported.

I have a HD3 rig and as surround projects make things DSP-tight, I recently purchased another HD2 system thinking of going HD5. But before I splash out for the chassis, I have been thinking of using the HD2 as an aux box instead, and using Satellite Link print stems on the second mac and/ or potentially do, music stem mixes on the HD2, when necessary. I already have a couple PT8 HD licenses and Video Satellite LE but it would have been quite cost effective if I could purchase two HD11 licenses to upgrade to 10HD, and get Satellite Link at the same time.

As 10HD is the max I can go I have to buy both 10HD and Satellite Link....

Bummer!!!!... : (

So, just to be 100% (fool's hope), if I get two HD11 licenses but use them to run two HD10 rigs, I still need to purchase a Video Satellite license for the slave HD10 rig, right?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
So, just to be 100% (fool's hope), if I get two HD11 licenses but use them to run two HD10 rigs, I still need to purchase a Video Satellite license for the slave HD10 rig, right?
Just a side-note. I read that Satellite under 11HD only runs reliably with other 11 rigs. So a mix of 10 and 11 should be avoided.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM

I think the latest 10 update addressed that though.

Nevertheless, on this specific thread PT11HD is of no concern Frank as it would take me selling all my current kit to jump on that bandwagon and I am not prepared to do that yet!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM

I'm pretty sure if you are using two HD10 systems, it will look for an Ilok license for any of the Satellite products. With HD11, you are not given a free Ilok license for the Satellite products. Rather, the functionality is built in to PT11. Since your systems are on HD10, it will still be looking for a license (and possibly installed software, not sure how that works). And it would need two separate Ilok licenses, one for Satellite Link, and one for Video Satellite LE, as these were always two separate purchases.

I guess I was thinking one of these systems would be on HD11, and wasn't looking at the details.

You may be able to find these licenses cheaper from someone on the forums or Ebay.

As another option, you might consider an HD Native system as it can run HD11 and run as the admin. There is no trade in for it from TDM, but if you sold the TDM cards it may offset the cost. Note that you can also use your existing interfaces with HD Native, if you didn't want to sell them with the cards. Although you're still forced to buy an interface with HD Native (which may not be a bad thing, depending on what you want.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks again nst7.

Yes, I thought about making the Native the main Mac and the HD3 as my Satellite Slave. I still have to replace my 2.1 Mac Pro though... I'll see what's happening on that front and take it from there I suppose. But thinking about it as I write this, wouldn't the HD3 rig still require the Satellite license?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM

From what I understand, you don't need a separate license for each system, just the one being used as the admin. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Well, that would be a relief. I thought each Satellite HD rig needs the iLok license. I still do actually I just hope you are right.