Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Well, that was ugly...Windows 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
But think of all the money you saved, over MAC
After diving back into the world of PC gaming computers over these past two weeks I was quickly reminded of why I don't stay in the world of PC computers. I hadn't cussed that much since I was a teenager. Macs are more expensive, but the closed-system, and therefore controlled and matched componentry, prevents the incompatibilities and configuration nightmares I just dealt with. We can argue over price/performance ratios, and god knows this battle will never die, but there's no debate when it comes to ease-of-operation/ownership. And when I've had issues with components in my Macs, Apple has often replaced them with upgraded parts (went in for a new battery, walked out with [nearly] a new computer). Just trying to get a video card working in two different machines... yeesh. Swap in a new card but the computer refuses to integrate the new card until you disconnect the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, but that's under the video card so you have to remove the card. Then there's a light on the motherboard that won't fully describe the issue, so you plug-and-play in the BIOS again, and again. The full headache story is many pages long.

I've been going under the hood of both platforms for almost 40 years and PCs continue to feel like poorly-implemented architectures that can never get it right; that make VERY slow categorical improvements over the years. The nature of open source DIY, I suppose. I'll gladly pay extra for a system that sits under my desk and performs its tasks while rarely demanding any attention.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:42 AM

Re. MBR to GPT, here's a Microsoft article on how to do it without any third party software: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...nto-a-gpt-disk (use at your own risk)

Re. Mac vs Win - each have their plus/minus. The closed ecosystem of Apple does make for a slicker, more precise experience, however at the same time introduces its own set of issues.

Take for example driver support for old interfaces - my old Pro Fire 2626, and before I sold it, Project Mix IO both work just fine on Windows 11 using drivers released for Win 8 and Win 7. It seems with every release of OSx drivers stop working and programs need compatibility fixes.

At the end of the day, they're tools and if they do what you need and you're happy with the UI, it's all good! :)

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 10-20-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
... work just fine on Windows 11 using drivers released for Win 8 and Win 7. It seems with every release of OSx drivers stop working and programs need compatibility fixes...
+1. This is (one of the reasons) why I prefer Windows for Pro Tools. Windows versions & build version updates tend to NOT break Pro Tools. My opinion.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-20-2021, 04:21 PM

My opinion too. I have a fourth generation Core i7 PC custom built in 2013 for under $1,900 - Canadian. I've updated it over time with SSD and then NVMe drives and went from 16 to 32 GB of RAM, which is tops for my motherboard. Without changing my video card, worrying about flashing it or running OpenCore, or using Xcode or similar to turn hyperthreading off or any other changes. I can manage hyperthreading in BIOS and, complete transparency, I use Processor Affinity, but that's built into Windows. It would take a little finessing to run Windows 11, but I don't need that either. I'm running the latest Windows 10 and the latest Pro Tools (2021.7) and the latest Waves (13.0).

I have no issues and I can import and export video too. I could also go back to Windows 8.1 or 8, which I successfully ran on this PC, or probably Windows 7 and maybe XP, although I have no need to. And speaking of backwards compatibility, I'm also using a 32 bit graphics program that was EOL in 2004. The only thing it won't do now is recognize my scanner.

At the end of the day, use what you're comfortable with; computers and the software they run are tools, not religious or cult icons.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-20-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
At the end of the day, use what you're comfortable with; computers and the software they run are tools, not religious or cult icons.
True.

More to the topic of the thread, is the Windows community generally happy about 11? I hear mixed reviews.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I won't be jumping on the Mac bandwagon any time soon. The Windows platform has been extremely stable from version to version of Protools while I observed weeping and gnashing of teeth from my Mac friends.