Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-30-2021, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
No Windows experiences at all here?
It worked fine for me on Windows last night. I didn't see any of the usage improvements some people have mentioned, perhaps because my CPU is Xeon. But it worked as well as 2021.3 for recording MIDI to VI tracks and for mixing the result.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-30-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I've never known Pro Tools to have this many bugs and things not working. Who is beta testing this now a days?

1. When applying a change on some plugins ala levels or threshold, it reverts back to where it was out of the blue or if I stop Pro Tools it does the same thing.
2. The color presets won't save in folder and won't let me save in numerical order either.
snippage
4. Love the dark mode but when installing a plugin on a track I can't tell if it's on or bypassed. Someone should have mentioned this in beta testing.
#1 is not necessarily PT's fault. What plugins are doing this? I've had issues with some plugins in other PT versions that change the state of some controls, especially if it's the last control manipulated.

#2 - that issue has been discussed here before. You need to change the permissions of the folder where the user presets are located.

#4 - that can be changed by the end user if said user has the chops (and nerve) to modify the ptcolors.txt file. It's a plain text file that can be modified using the stock text edit utility in OSX. There are actually three states for a plugin and they all have a couple of lines of code that need/can be changed. There's active, inactive and bypassed. In the modified file I have and passed on to others I set it so that when a plugin is inactive it changes color to red.

QAPLA!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
1. When applying a change on some plugins ala levels or threshold, it reverts back to where it was out of the blue or if I stop Pro Tools it does the same thing.
Sounds like you have automation written in for plugin parameters. Clear the automation points.

For HEAT, turn off Hybrid.

(I question Avid's choice for HDX users to turn Hybrid on by default. It should have been off by default.)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
#1 is not necessarily PT's fault. What plugins are doing this? I've had issues with some plugins in other PT versions that change the state of some controls, especially if it's the last control manipulated.

#2 - that issue has been discussed here before. You need to change the permissions of the folder where the user presets are located.

#4 - that can be changed by the end user if said user has the chops (and nerve) to modify the ptcolors.txt file. It's a plain text file that can be modified using the stock text edit utility in OSX. There are actually three states for a plugin and they all have a couple of lines of code that need/can be changed. There's active, inactive and bypassed. In the modified file I have and passed on to others I set it so that when a plugin is inactive it changes color to red.
Thanks, this got me to thinking why and it was the prefs and having auth.

I appreciate it!!! Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-30-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Sounds like you have automation written in for plugin parameters. Clear the automation points.

(I question Avid's choice for HDX users to turn Hybrid on by default. It should have been off by default.)
Naw, it is new plugins being put on the track not unless Pro Tools is writing automation now when new plugins are put on a track.

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 06-30-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

Sorry, also I'm using Pro Tools 2021.6 Standard and not Ultimate.
If you own Heat, it now works in all versions of Pro Tools which I love!!!

Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 AM

Remember when things are working people barely post lol.

But I’m win 10 pro here. Everything is smooth sailing with ultimate and a maxed out apollo x setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killah_trakz View Post
Remember when things are working people barely post lol.

But I’m win 10 pro here. Everything is smooth sailing with ultimate and a maxed out apollo x setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultimate is great here as well. (HDX Win 10)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-02-2021, 02:39 AM

Thanks to all Windows users who reported good things, and I can add to that now. Everything working fine here seemingly, including video. The dragging an insert from a stereo to a mono track (or vice versa) is great - it does indeed load the other version of the plug in.

At least usually - I have found some fails, and also some punch-the-air joys. Loading an Ozone 9 EQ on a mono track drags perfectly to a stereo one, loading the stereo version. Dragging it back again to mono also works. Great. However, curiously loading a stereo version on a stereo track FIRST will then not drag to a mono track, producing an error that "there is not a matching version at this track width". Oh.

This isn't the case with a Waves Q plugin - that can happily drag from a stereo to a mono track. But this is the fun bit. If I set L and R separately on the stereo track and drag to mono, it inherits the L only settings (which is fair enough). Voodoo-like though, if I then drag it back to stereo, it remembers the original L and R settings. But it gets better - I can then drag it back to mono, change something, drag it back to stereo and the change proportionately affects the L & R correctly. No idea how it does it, but perfect from a user perspective.

One continuing gripe though - the installer. It's always been painfully slow and painfully grumpy, and it still is. Even unzipping it takes about 10-15 mins on a fast W10 system. Just for fun, I tried simply running it without uninstalling the previous version first, restarted and was rewarded with a Procedure Entry Point error instantly on attempting to launch. I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, restarted and all was well. Now, I know the advice - always uninstall first, but why? In 2021, is it really not possible to build an installer that checks for a previous version and uninstalls it if it finds one?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-02-2021, 03:09 AM

By the way, why on earth is Ultimate still capped at 1024 midi tracks? I can sort of (just) by Avid's logic about why there are audio track limits, but can see zero justification for midi. Also the instrument tracks should be increased - they've both gone from more than the number audio tracks to far less. Pro Tools is still not a contender for serious composition work with VIs while these limits remain.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM