Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Connecting external effects as insert to Mbox - help needed

i am having trouble using a hardware insert effect on my Mbox and cannot find a precise explanation of what is wrong.

Basically i need to record a dry guitar signal while monitoring it with the effect applied as an insert. Using PT 7.4, original Mbox and a V-Amp guitar effects.

The V-amp is connected to the TRS Insert 1 on the mbox, using an insert TRS splitter cable. Guitar input to input 1.

However, when i try to insert the effect on the track (tried both Audio and Aux) it comes up with H/W insert cannot be applied as output is already in use). This appears whicever insert I use on the Mbox and I even tried it in a blank session yet still got the same message.

Could anyone explain what the correct procedure/routing is? Is it possible??

IE, how do I make the right settings so that I record the dry guitar to an audio track, while monitoring the effect. The reason I need to do this is because different effects will be applied at mixdown at a different studio. For playability while recording I need to monitor the effect.

The session is a mixture of stereo and mono tracks output to 1+2 and I/O settings are as default.

I would really appreciate any help on this one - can't find the answer.

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Connecting external effects as insert to Mbox - help nee

The hardware inserts on the Mbox are after the preamp and before the a/d converter. That means you won't be able to record a dry signal and monitor the effect with the hardware box. In the software, the hardware inserts would do what you're looking for but the Mbox isn't really equipped for it. You need to have a free pair of i/o's to utilize that function and your mbox only has 2 channels of i/o, both of the outputs of which are being used for monitoring.

Here are some things that MIGHT work for you:

You could potentially reduce your session to a single output and use the other i/o pair for this purpose.

You could split your guitar signal and feed one split to the effects box and the other directly to the input. You'd be recording 2 tracks but you would end up with one with the effect and the other just dry.

You could try out amplitube or something like that to give you a playable sound instead of the hardware piece.

There are probably other options, but I can't think of anything else right now. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Connecting external effects as insert to Mbox - help nee

thanks for your help .. as i feared .. but will try your suggestions.. thanks again