How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 AM

Default Is my setup sufficent for my needs? PLEASE READ

Let me ask you this,

This is my intended setup, is it sufficient for Recording/Producing Rap/Hip hop/Punk Rock/Reggae/Ska/Metal/Techno, Doing Alot of one at a time instrument recording with a full band, or Tracking an entire 4 or 5 piece Band at the same time, do live show recordings,<Basically Using up to all 16 inputs on 16 seperate tracks, with none to one or two VST/Komplete instruments or programs like guitar rig, The rest with the zero latency mixer on the firestudio's> Then Also will be sitting in the studio by myself making my own beats and things with the Komplete VST/programs and a Midi Keyboard using one track at a time

(remember macbook pro has only one firewire 800 port)

The macbook pro Im using will have a upgraded 500gb/4gb 7200rpm 32mb cache internal drive with 8gb ram and a 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo run in clamshell mode with two external 20inch monitors via the matrox dualhead2go DP version, with this intended setup:

Macbook pro >Moshi Firewire 400 to 800 adapter>Presonus Firestudio Project>Presonus Firestudio project>G Tech 1tb 7200rpm 32mb External(for Komplete 7 samples and libraries)>G Tech 1tb 7200rpm 32mb external(for saved audio file ProTools 9 sessions) All Chained together (using the Firewire 400 cables that come with the G Tech's, not the firewire 800 cables)

** I will also have a usb drive to with all my samples copied to it, and to back up my protools sessions occasionally.**

Is This the correct setup and will it work just fine through my MBP with my specs?

Any suggestions on Modifications to make to rig, the way I have it chained?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Is my setup sufficent for my needs? PLEASE READ

Also as I said above I will be upgrading my internal to a 500g/4gb solid state 7200rpm 32mb cache, I have been recommended to use the Seagate Momentus XT STAN500100, I know nothing about Hard drives though, So Is there any better recommendations on a internal drive to put in my macbook pro that will suit my needs above? ( I heard seagate's have problems lasting, but I heard that about external's not internals.. please let me know what internal I Need to do what I want to do above only saving system files and running pro tools and my programs, all saved sessions and samples will go on the external's)