Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up NEW DIGI PCIE Expansion Chasis

Check out the NEW PCIE Expansion Chassis!!
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=34269
VERY COOL!!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Thumbs down Re: NEW DIGI PCIE Expansion Chasis

I think $3,495 is ridiculous, but hey that is just me.

Wish I could connect up my other Mac Pro instead of an empty expansion chassis. . . a couple special little magic cards, one cable, and "PRESTO" a Mac Pro as an expansion chassis. . . it would probably be about the same price and could be sold as a useful computer down the road. What can I say, I am bitter. I sold my last expansion chassis for $500 14 months after I bought it new for $2,300, when the Mix systems were superseded by HD and the chassis was no longer supported. . .
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Re: NEW DIGI PCIE Expansion Chasis

Hmm, would be very cool if at actually WORKS. Man, that last chassis Digi tried to make, and then smartly stopped making, was a P.O.S. We had absolutely nothing but trouble with them and had to get Digi to give us Magma's on the last film I worked on, we had so much down time related to the Digi Chassis.

So much that I don't think I'd ever consider buying a Chassis from Digi.

Just my .02
Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
"Hmm, would be very cool if at actually WORKS."
Of course it would work, it is MAGIC! However it doesn't exist yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM

The prices are soooo ridiculous!!!! It's just a Magma wit Digi's name on it. WOW, so a 6 slot went from being $2,500 to $3,500. You can get the same chassis for $2,500 from Magma. Maybe it's just me but, is that price krazy or what?
I bought my first Magma for $1,200 (6 slot). Has parts and labor gone up that much to make the same thing again but, PCIe? Once I saw Magma's pricing I decided to not go that route. That's a whole new 8 core Mac. If Digi was smart, they would price it low so that people would want to buy more HD Accel cards. Being priced that high with what's going on in music and the economy I don't see it happening. I would love to buy one and get 2 more cards but, now it's really out the question.

This is Price Gouging...!!!

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM

if it is a repackaged Magma, Digi has little price control (unless you expect to sell them for a loss)

Beta tester please speak up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 PM

That has "Sucker" written all over it. How about spending that money on a new 8 core MacPro, dumping your TDM plugs, use that MacPro to run all your plugs as RTAS. I own 3 TDM Plugs and that's it. Revibe, Soundtoys, and Eleven. I count Soundtoys as 1 plug only, because I only use Echoboy as TDM of all the plugs in the bundle. Echoboy and Eleven are only TDM because I need to track through them, other than that, I run all other plugs as RTAS and "Never" have an issue with it. Once I'm done tracking, I change the TDM instances of those plugins to RTAS.

I love Protools HD, but not, let me say this again, "NOT" for running my plugins. I have an HD2, but could easily do with an HD1. To me, in this day and age, the Cards are for I/O, Hardware Inserts, No Latency, Mixer and Aux's and the like, not for running plugs. Just no need for it.

I just don't get it.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM

[quote
VERY COOL!!![/quote]

Wow, the first time I've ever seen PCIe slots and a power supply referred to as "Cool".

I own a expansion chassis, and I have to say it was one of the most painful shelling out of cash for gear I had to do. Definitely not cool at all. Especially when the $2500 (now $3500) actually gets you no sonic benefits, but just enables you to spend more money on cards...so basically now you're looking at shelling out $7k or so before you can start making things sound different.

My Roland Dimension D; now that is cool; and you can buy four or so for the same price of this new chassis.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
[quote
VERY COOL!!!
Wow, the first time I've ever seen PCIe slots and a power supply referred to as "Cool".

I own a expansion chassis, and I have to say it was one of the most painful shelling out of cash for gear I had to do. Definitely not cool at all. Especially when the $2500 (now $3500) actually gets you no sonic benefits, but just enables you to spend more money on cards...so basically now you're looking at shelling out $7k or so before you can start making things sound different.

My Roland Dimension D; now that is cool; and you can buy four or so for the same price of this new chassis.[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dr sound replies:
JSR,
I have zero use for a Roland in my world (Post). That's me. Next time instead of "Cool" I'll say "Roland"

PLEASE................
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Oh my!

Hate to say it but this makes a PC built on a Supermicro X7SBA a super sweet deal. Many are reporting it a rock solid system.
But seriously, the price is just !