Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM

Default ASIO 003R Win7 What's the hold up?

how does the asio driver get worse with each upgrade?

the 8.0.4 asio drivers worked, no direct/low latency monitoring or use of the 003r midi.

with the 9+ drivers the asio goes to crap, midi doesn't work, etc. in cubase or wavelab. it does work fine in PT, but midi in protools sucks.

Now since PT is decoupled from it's hardware, is the hardware ever going to work right?

It looks like the issue is sync based. is it ever going to be resolved?

I'm sorry I am frustrated, I would expect a major company like Avid to be able to have their current product line in support with current operating systems. Windows 7 was released almost 2 years ago. the 003 came out 4 years ago, so for half it's life it has not been able to use current systems? What is the deal?

And now you want me to upgrade to 9? seriously? try fixing 8 first! Why would I want to buy something that wont ever work? i should just wait till 10 is released, maybe then the issues in 8 might be resolved. good customer support!

My system is fine, it is not my system that is the problem it is the poor engineering in the 003R drivers.

I am not going to use XP, should I go back and use an Atari system too?

The 003R can be a very nice piece of gear, it just needs proper support. It just needs drivers that are PROPERLY coded. Is the problem that AVID is trying to cut corners and try to port Mac drivers to Windows? Why not develop 7 drivers independently? I don't know how drivers are created, if I did I would have fix this myself.

Get on top of it Avid!!! try this little thing called quality control. it might just help build profits for your shareholders.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Re: ASIO 003R Win7 What's the hold up?

Instead of spending all that time typing, you could looked to see the 8.0.5 driver that was released a week ago.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM

I about to download it. Thanks!

Does it work, MIDI? ASIO? Direct monitoring?
If so, thanks!!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I about to download it. Thanks!

Does it work, MIDI? ASIO? Direct monitoring?
If so, thanks!!!!
Seems to have helped a lot of people, but the best thing to do is install it for yourself and see how it goes.

Let us know!

D

Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Talking Re: ASIO 003R Win7 What's the hold up?

@Dwells, 8.0.4 worked for me until other problems arose and 8.0.5 was impossible use and resolve error messages which I logged elsewhere. l completely understand your frustration. Mine started when I saw the box and read with amazement that Vista 64-bit was not covered (which of course lucky me, I had) ... so I spent the time and $ to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. My second headache started with upgrading to 8.0.5. I could write a short novel about my hassles with this hardware/software combo.

I've been working with computers since the 80s, owning Macs and PCs, working for corporate design firms designing interactive media, etc. I teach Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, certified Autodesk 3ds Max, bla bla bla. I am not however a programmer, or an electrical or sound engineer. I am an entry level user trying to get an entry level product up and running. Ha!

This is the biggest hassle and disappointment I have had on the computer since Windows 3.1 where you just want to scream, why doesn't this thing work, and hours of your life go into problem-solving what Windows should have done right before they shipped. But if they waited until they got it right, Gates wouldn't be the rich guy he is would he?

So did 8.0.5 work?

Last edited by Stephen Connor; 03-26-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM

8.0.5 is terrible, several blue screens. and protools won't even start up.. I'm going to try to uninstall it.

8.0.4 'works'. but no midi from the 003, and no direct monitoring. true I can lower the latancy, but it's still not the same.

At first, I was blaming Microsoft, like everyone else. It's windows afterall. but then I started to realize that it wasn't windows, it was avid. All my other software works, my drivers for everything else works. Now when ever I have a problem it is usually with Avid, the last time was vaulty RAM memory, but the majority of the time it is with Avid.

I'm going to spend the next few days to try to get everything back to 'normal'
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
8.0.5 is terrible, several blue screens. and protools won't even start up.. I'm going to try to uninstall it.

8.0.4 'works'. but no midi from the 003, and no direct monitoring. true I can lower the latancy, but it's still not the same.

At first, I was blaming Microsoft, like everyone else. It's windows afterall. but then I started to realize that it wasn't windows, it was avid. All my other software works, my drivers for everything else works. Now when ever I have a problem it is usually with Avid, the last time was vaulty RAM memory, but the majority of the time it is with Avid.

I'm going to spend the next few days to try to get everything back to 'normal'
Can we get a sandra report?

D

Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM

@Dwells My opinion right now Avid is the problem, not Windows, not the user's hardware, or in some ambiguous way, the fault of the users themselves. Photoshop CS5 works on my station, Video editing software works, as well as Autodesk 3ds Max, etc. These all require various drivers and hardware interfaces to operate, are RAM hungry, etc. They work fine and there was no time-suck to install them. Pro Tools however does not work.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Connor View Post
@Dwells My opinion right now Avid is the problem, not Windows, not the user's hardware, or in some ambiguous way, the fault of the users themselves. Photoshop CS5 works on my station, Video editing software works, as well as Autodesk 3ds Max, etc. These all require various drivers and hardware interfaces to operate, are RAM hungry, etc. They work fine and there was no time-suck to install them. Pro Tools however does not work.
Flawed logic I'm afraid...

Regardless of whether or not any other software works on your computer, Pro Tools has it's own set of requirements and this includes internal hardware. Using mismatched RAM, chipsets, no dedicated hard drive or graphics... these things spell problems for Pro Tools. Perhaps other software aren't as picky about these things, but that can result in degraded performance.

I can run Pro Tools all day long without so much as a buffer error... so how is it immediately Avid's fault if we don't even know the specs of your computer?

Please post a sandra report as detailed here:

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

D

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM

I wonder what it is about Sandra the whiners don't like?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O