Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Digi drivers for OS X

So does this mean that Core Audio 2.0 will support AM III cards? I'd like to be able to play back audio from Peak and other apps through my AM III card.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:11 PM

Hi Digi Engineering,

For the upcoming CoreAudio driver v2.0, I really like to know that is any improvement regard to the conflict issue with iChat AV?

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=16;t=020223

Will be able to work for iChat AV, or still work for only iTune?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucas:
Hi Digi Engineering,

For the upcoming CoreAudio driver v2.0, I really like to know that is any improvement regard to the conflict issue with iChat AV?

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Folks..you're killin me - its so funny! What? Now digi has to make every app in the world work with their hardware? I want to be able to hear my Internet phone calls through Digi hardware, digi digi, please make it happen. Its critical! Gawd.. Whats next..you'll want to hear stuffit unstuffin huh? lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by andrej770:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Lucas:
Hi Digi Engineering,

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Folks..you're killin me - its so funny! What? Now digi has to make every app in the world work with their hardware? I want to be able to hear my Internet phone calls through Digi hardware, digi digi, please make it happen. Its critical! Gawd.. Whats next..you'll want to hear stuffit unstuffin huh? lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, damn right they should!!!! If they wrote their drivers that complied 100% with Apple's Core Audio, then the ability for ANY and ALL apps to use the hardware (even concurrently with other apps) will be achieved. The driver should provide system wide transparency to the hardware.

The way things are going with Digi's direction on this issue (restricting their hardware to specific apps and disabling the multi client nature of the drivers) is very troubling. Digi refuses to acknowledge and adopt Audio Units is equally disturbing.

I personally predict these current policies will injure Digi's lower end sales. PT on OS X is NOT very attractive when u consider only PT can use the hardware when its open, we suffer the same Mac OS 9x driver limitations, (some of us have waited many years for OSX to resolve these issues) and now the hardware barely works in with other 3rd party apps. In addition to this, we are stuck with a proprietary minority RTAS standard that is failing to attract the development majority of plug/soft synth companies since for the most part the focus is Audio Units. Its the same old battle we have been facing for years with Digi, With OS X we have a chance to remove these restrictions but Digi aint plain nice AT ALL!!! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 09:13 AM

Can we have a G3 B&W compat version as well?
Old 07-19-2003, 09:20 AM

I meanwhile did a test with my copy of Logic Audio 6 on a friend´s ProTools system trying to use Logic with the Digi001.
It´s pain - it runs one time, the next times i launched Logic it said "coreaudio error 2XXXX" (dont remember the exact error-code)

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I´m glad i didnt upgrade my ProTools LE to version 6, it would be just depressing me.

putte
Old 07-19-2003, 09:21 AM

i forgot to mention that this test wasn´t with the latest 6.1 coreaudio, it was with the one before.
putte
Old 07-19-2003, 07:08 PM

Quote:
yeah, damn right they should!!!! If they wrote their drivers that complied 100% with Apple's Core Audio, then the ability for ANY and ALL apps to use the hardware (even concurrently with other apps) will be achieved...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I was the manufacturer of a proprietary Digital Audio Interface that I put millions of R&D dollars into, why the hell would I do all that then create a software driver that lets all my competitors use it too. C'mon. You're makin me think you have no sense of business here. If I do decide to allow its use by others, it will be very limited. Apple has no requirement that all apps be 100 percent written to spec. Hell, they don't even write all their own apps to their own specs. When Digi wants to deliver the driver, it will be there. Until then, get some rest.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by andrej770:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, damn right they should!!!! If they wrote their drivers that complied 100% with Apple's Core Audio, then the ability for ANY and ALL apps to use the hardware (even concurrently with other apps) will be achieved...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I was the manufacturer of a proprietary Digital Audio Interface that I put millions of R&D dollars into, why the hell would I do all that then create a software driver that lets all my competitors use it too. C'mon. You're makin me think you have no sense of business here. If I do decide to allow its use by others, it will be very limited. Apple has no requirement that all apps be 100 percent written to spec. Hell, they don't even write all their own apps to their own specs. When Digi wants to deliver the driver, it will be there. Until then, get some rest. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude, if the customer pays for Digi's HARDWARE then this pays in part for the R&D for the hardware. So in essence, this is exactly the bizniz modal Digi want/need. They need ppl to buy their hardware, it generates the majority of the profit for them.

Software DOES NOT !!! Its bundled with the hardware. If the user wishes to use the hardware (he payed good money for) why should he be forced only to use the software that it shipped with? We place a much higher value on the hardware then the software. If Digi sold the software as its own product alot of ppl would just pirate it and thus Digi would loose out on the $. Bah, if Digi forces the issue raised above they have the potential to loose MORE $$ in lost hardware sales when ppl turn their noses up at the policy to restrict the usefulness and flexibility of their hardware.

Come'on Dude, its unrealistic for a company to expect us to pay top $ for their hardware, if a situation exists where the user wants to edit some audio in PT but has to quit PT every time he needs to switch to another app like Peak for SCSI sample Xfer and also play the audio out the Digi hardware. Same applies with other apps in different situations. Maybe u record some audio in Logic, then want to load it into PT to edit and process it with a particular RTAS ONLY plug. To be forced to quit Logic, load Pro Tools, edit , quit PT, launch Logic and import processed audio is out of order. The peeps aint gonna go for it. We should be able to have any audio app open we need to access the hardware at any time as per the requirement.

Ill be the first to admit it, if PT had a decent sequencer (offered a switchable sequencer front end mode), offered support for Audio units, hardware sampler file Xfer eg SCSI and the lower end Hardware (Digi002) provided concatenated hardware expansion ie add more 002's then i personally would only need to run Pro Tools since it would provide EVERYTHING i need without ANY other 3rd party audio/midi app. This aint the case and never will.

Low end hardware sales is better than NO low end sales. Digi would be dreaming if they think we all have mega bux to upgrade to TDM systems after using their host systems, cos we aint gonna!!! So at the end of the profitable day some hardware sale is better than NONE at all.

On another note, i smell some fish going on politically atm. Check out the PT 6.1 PDF files, notice how the first section relates to Windows, Mac last? First time i have seen this, Could this be the writing on the wall for a Windows development shift at the expense of the Mac? Digi seem to be pushing the Windows side more heavily than ever. I wouldn't be surprised if this eventuates. I suspect some of the high rollers @ Digi are hella p!ssed @ Apple for their recent marketing tactics:eg Logic buyout, FCP domination. Can't say i blame them but i hope we the users arn't forced into a slow Windowz migration [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Targon:
Software DOES NOT !!! Its bundled with the hardware. If the user wishes to use the hardware (he payed good money for) why should he be forced only to use the software that it shipped with?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How is this any different from the MAC computer. The software is bundled with the hardware. Why should we be forced to only use the software that shipped with it? Cause Apple made a proprietarty computer that can only be used with their software; they made the product and they get to choose. Simply said! If you are going to complain about proprietary hardware and software include everyone that does it - Apple should be at the top of your list.

Quote:
Come'on Dude, its unrealistic for a company to expect us to pay top $ for their hardware, if a situation exists where the user wants to edit some audio in PT but has to quit PT every time he needs to switch to another app like Peak for SCSI sample Xfer and also play the audio out the Digi hardware.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I understand your point completely. But again, the purpose of having something propietary is no accident. It is deliberate and planned. What you are going through is by design. They want to make you frustrated so you have to choose. So choose. Seriously expecting them to 'come around' is crazy.

Quote:
To be forced to quit Logic, load Pro Tools, edit , quit PT, launch Logic and import processed audio is out of order. The peeps aint gonna go for it. We should be able to have any audio app open we need to access the hardware at any time as per the requirement.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Most people realize that PT is the best at what it does for a reason. Digi concentrates on one area. To ask them to take their focus off of what they are doing to 'help' competitors is crazy. Then you would hear even more complaints about buggy software.

Quote:
Low end hardware sales is better than NO low end sales. Digi would be dreaming if they think we all have mega bux to upgrade to TDM systems after using their host systems, cos we aint gonna!!! So at the end of the profitable day some hardware sale is better than NONE at all.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Digi has primarily made their money from high end dedicated and loyal customers that expect the system to work without serious issues. The Digi001 and Digi002 are Digi's response to the low end market. I'm willing to bet the low end sales components brings in less than 25% of their revenue. Just because they respond does not mean they cannot remain proprietary.

Quote:
On another note, i smell some fish going on politically atm. Check out the PT 6.1 PDF files, notice how the first section relates to Windows, Mac last? First time i have seen this, Could this be the writing on the wall for a Windows development shift at the expense of the Mac? Digi seem to be pushing the Windows side more heavily than ever.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Digi always has been and most likely will always be primarily a MAC shop. Regardless of what Apple does, they don't have the marketshare in the DAW arena to knock Digi from the top of the list unless they do the same thing - come out with a proprietary hardware piece to directly compete against Digi. Anyone can make a faster computer. Faster computers make Apples software more attractive. But when the stars make it big and get all their loot, when they are building their studios, what is the first thing they buy - Protools! Apple can't compete in that space. True they own the hardware and OS software - that's no different from the Windows/Intel conversation - which means they get first dibbs at the new technologies, but in the end, they can't compete with the word-of-mouth advertising that Digi has that says, you aint no pro till you have Protools. Yeah, this is slightly changing, but not fast enough for Apple to catch up significantly.

I like your points, but I don't see Digi taking any serious action on this at all. It is not in their best interest. Yeah a few customers will switch. But the big money spenders will most likely always be PT loyalist. No other competitor has stepped to the plate yet that can do it on this scale as consistently and with as big a following as Digi. Just as Mac will never catch up with Windows sales until they do some of the same ruthless stuff Microsoft has done, Apple will never catch up with Digi with or without Logic. There is just something about dedicated DSP hardware specific to the software that is appealing to many of the "reliability" conscious engineers.

Just my opinion. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]