Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Default External sequencer master

If you have MIDI parts recorded on an external sequencer.....Anyone know how to make an external sequencer run Pro Tools as a slave? Or should one just run the audio from the keyboard/sound module into a Pro-Tools track?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 AM

Default Re: External sequencer master

Are the MIDI parts on the synth complete and ready to go? Then just record the audio. You'll probably want to do that at some point anyway.. If they are the first tracks you are putting down, then it would be easy to set the tempo and then just slide the audio around until it lines up with the grid properly. If you are trying to match other tracks that are already recorded (and based on your question, I'm not sure how you would have accomplished this) then it might be a little trickier to do. Set ProTools as the master... ie you hit record in protools and that casues the synth to playback. You'll want to read the section "ProTools as MMC master" in your PT Reference manual.. There is too much there to explain in a post and you need to understand it pretty well to get it to work.

Do you want to edit the MIDI in protools? Then just record the MIDI notes onto a MIDI track or an Inst track. Then when you hit play in protools, you can trigger your synth (or other synths or VI's) with your original MIDI tracks and hear the audio using an Aux track..

In the future you are going to better off by recording midi directly to protools, not to your external sequencer. You avoid all kinds of sync problems that way
Old 07-04-2008, 04:42 AM

Thanks. That's what I figured too. In the future, I will probably just sequence inside of the Pro Tools--once I re-learn how to do it. Although my keyboard has some great sounds. I'm new at this with Pro Tools and a MAC. Before, I used a Roland stand-alone VS workstation and a stand-alone sequencer that was easy to sync with the unit. Roland allowed for a special sync track that made it easy. And all of the functions on the Roland were easy to use. Routing signals was a breeze. So I have a learning curve ahead of me. But my current project has all the parts on external sequencer. SO I guess the easiest thing to do is just play the parts and record them as audio to tracks, rather than try to sync the machines together, then add the non-sequenced performed parts on after.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 AM

You can still use the sounds on the keyboard.. Just have ProTools send the MIDI out to it. You probably will need to turn "local Control" off on the keyboard. This kind of separates the actual keys from the sound module as if you had a controller and a rack synth ( that's my little MIDI setup). So you play the keys, record the midi in protools and send the midi out at the same time to the synth so you can hear it.. You can also install the patch names in Audio MIDI setup so you can change patches from protools.

Then of course you need to have the audio from the synth come back in to protools to hear it with the mix... You can do that with an Inst track or with an Aux input. That way you are not using up an audio track in ProTools..
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 AM

Hi all. I have a similar situation. Im trying to have my digi002 be the master sequencer in my set up.
I have digi002, mpc4000, triton extreme.
I want to slave the mp and the triton to protools. I have my midi cables from my triton going into the mpc on midi in 1 and midi out a. Going out From the mp to the 002 I have my midi 2 and midi out b.
The audio cables from the triton are going into inputs 7-8 on the 002. and the audio from the mp are going into inputs 5-6.
I get no audio in protools (7.4.2). I took both audio cables from the mp and triton to test signal on a makie mixer and the sound comes out. I replug the cables to 002 and nothing. I've tried aux trks, instr trks, changing the input on the trk to match and nothing. Someone please help me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks