Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Strange Command 8 problem

Hello, I'm having a very strange problem with my Command 8 controller in PTHD 2 Accell, 8.0.4. This happened recently and I've still not figured it out. Basically, the Command 8 remains offline even though I have it selected in the Peripherals Midi Controller area. The strange thing is that the faders remain at the bottom, the LED display says offline, but if I move a fader the fader on the screen reacts and follows the fader movement. The transport controls works, the solos, mutes, pans, bank, nudge, zoom work. But, no other functions work and I can't get the Command 8's faders to sync up to the project or get it online. It's really weird that the fader will be recognized when moved though, and that some of the controls work. So, it must be partly working somehow. I have uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled, and even unistalled/reinstalled Pro Tools a while back to see if it fixed it. Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening? Thanks - paul

p.s. - I'm having trouble making a Sandra report. Getting a weird error. I am on a PC with Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 32 bit, i7 processor, 6 Gig of RAM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Strange Command 8 problem

Does anybody have any thoughts? - paul
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 PM

I had a similar problem way back. Have you accidentally created a feedback loop with a midi device using midi-thru?

In my case I enabled midi-out on an axiom keyboard and because of the way it was connected, it re-cycled all midi and the command-8 simply stalled. The odd thing would work occasionally but it seemed like the C8 was toast.

You can perform a simply test by running midi-ox http://www.midiox.com/ when PT isn't running. You should only see midi on/off/cc commands when you touch something. If when you hit a button, or operate a fader you end up with a steady stream of data coming out then you've got a loop going. It can actually lock up your computer.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainZagar View Post
I had a similar problem way back. Have you accidentally created a feedback loop with a midi device using midi-thru?

In my case I enabled midi-out on an axiom keyboard and because of the way it was connected, it re-cycled all midi and the command-8 simply stalled. The odd thing would work occasionally but it seemed like the C8 was toast.

You can perform a simply test by running midi-ox http://www.midiox.com/ when PT isn't running. You should only see midi on/off/cc commands when you touch something. If when you hit a button, or operate a fader you end up with a steady stream of data coming out then you've got a loop going. It can actually lock up your computer.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try. Crossing fingers. - paul
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Hello, I wanted to update this. Digi support really helped me out. Here's what fixed my problem : "Make sure that the system is grounded properly The Command|8 uses continuity to sense touch and if it is not working properly it could be an issue with it not being properly grounded.

Right click on the Pro Tools application and choose properties. Look on the Compatibility tab and check the run as administrator option. Do this for any shortcuts you use to launch Pro Tools as well."

So, if anybody has this kind of problem in the future, maybe this will help. I think what caused this for me is that recently I had to reinstall my OS, and it must have changed the configuration. Anyway, thanks Digi. - paul
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
Right click on the Pro Tools application and choose properties. Look on the Compatibility tab and check the run as administrator option. Do this for any shortcuts you use to launch Pro Tools as well."

So, if anybody has this kind of problem in the future, maybe this will help. - paul
Hey paul,
Thanks for taking the time to update this post... been pulling my hair out last few hours trying to solve this... then I found your post!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad