Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 11-18-2021, 09:41 AM

Default Knob and Fader maps - how to define the faders and knobs

I have 24 faders.
When I push custom I can map to the master module fine. But, if I select fader I only have the last 8 faders that turn purple and no knobs. (I don't have knobs above the last 8 faders but do have them above the first 16)
Is there a way to define which knobs and faders can be mapped to?
Old 11-18-2021, 11:23 AM
Avid

Default Re: Knob and Fader maps - how to define the faders and knobs

Greetings,

It doesn't matter which Fader module you use to create the custom fader map. Once you've completed your choices and hit done, you should be able to access fader maps via the EXP button from the Process or Channelstrip module (S4),

What system do you have (S4/S6) and what is your configuration? For example, I have S6 composed of bucket 1 options = panner, att knob, post, bucket 2 = automation module + master module, buckets 3 and 4 have fader, knob and process.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-19-2021, 03:00 AM

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your reply.
I have an s6. I'm not sure of the correct terms but there's 8 faders x3. Above the first one is a process module and a knob module. The second fader module has a process module and two knobs above it. Then there's the automation module and MTM and then the last set of faders with only a process module above.
So what I am saying is that if I want to map an EQ to faders, then only the last set of faders turn purple to become available to map. These also seem to be the only set of faders that respond once the map has been made.

Previoulsy I did this with Expanded Faders (if that was what it was called) And that seemed to define a certain area on the console to expand.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:26 AM
Avid

Thanks for the info. So - you can successfully create a fader map for a chosen plug-in using the Fader Module which illuminates purple after you Attention the track and choose custom, yes? You can then restore the map by accessing the Insert / Parameters then pressing EXP - but when you perform the same actions on another fader bucket - what happens? Also - please let us know what version of S6 software you are running currently. Thanks.

Only when creating the map should the system point you to the adjacent Faders and Knobs for convenience to define the map. Once the map exists you should be able to restore it using any of the faders on the desk.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-23-2021, 03:06 AM

Jeff
I think I have this figured out now.
I just mapped a Dverb and was able to recall it on another set of faders by holding down the exp button. I assume that's the expected behaviour?
And I have figured out that the reason I couldn't map to knobs seems to be because even though both knob modules turn purple, the only one that accepts input is the top one.
desk version is 2021.6.1.5
Old 11-28-2021, 11:45 AM
Avid

Yes, that's one way. If you want to maintain the granularity of knob expand first then fader expand keep it that way. If you want to always jump into fader expand then enable Settings > User > Auto Expand Functions > Auto Expand Faders.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ