Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 Intermittent Strange Edit Behaviour

I am experiencing a very strange behavior in Pro Tools 11. After recording an audio track with my client, I was unable to delete a certain selected section of the clip recorded earlier. After selection, neither the delete key nor the mouse rt click with option CLEAR would delete the selection. Then again without making any changes it works as it should and again it does not work. I am totally confused. Please Help!

I finally got around by opening a new song and doing a selected import of the track and data in question from the original song and delete worked as it should. Obviously I do not intend to work in this manner.

My knowledge of Pro Tools, I believe on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a Pro Tools GURU) I am probably at a level 4.

I am using an i7-4700mq processor laptop with 16gb ram and Pro Tools 11.0.2 and RME Babyface for sound.

All drivers are upto-date. I also have the Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 installed, although it was not being used this time.

Last edited by jjblacks; 09-26-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: change heading
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Intermittent Strange Edit Behaviour

I tried this again now and it still has the same behavior. Parts of waveform selected on my audio track would simply not delete using either CLEAR from the rt menu or the Delete keyboard key.

I am hoping and wondering if this is my lack of knowledge issue here.
I mean if there is some sort of precautionary edit lock feature in place that I am now familiar or aware of. Even though this does not make sense however, I am still relatively less experienced in Pro Tools.

Please Help..Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 AM

Usually if I want to delete a portion of a clip I make a selection, separate the selection, right click and select Clear. Never used the delete key to remove anything from PT.

QAPLA!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Usually if I want to delete a portion of a clip I make a selection, separate the selection, right click and select Clear. Never used the delete key to remove anything from PT.
Thanks for your input. In this situation, even using right click and select CLEAR would not delete the selected areas.

However I have been able to get around it now by creating a brand new session and then importing the same clips into the new session and now the delete of selected areas work normal as it should.

So it seems like there might have been a corruption of some sort in the session file without affecting the clips themselves. As I have proven to myself that with creation of a new session and importing the same clips, the problem goes away. I hope Avid picks up on this very important editing related issue
Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblacks View Post
Thanks for your input. In this situation, even using right click and select CLEAR would not delete the selected areas.

However I have been able to get around it now by creating a brand new session and then importing the same clips into the new session and now the delete of selected areas work normal as it should.

So it seems like there might have been a corruption of some sort in the session file without affecting the clips themselves. As I have proven to myself that with creation of a new session and importing the same clips, the problem goes away. I hope Avid picks up on this very important editing related issue
Might not be a widespread issue; it's weird though how a session can become corrupted for some reason and those reasons are as varied as those of us who use PT.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM

This might be a silly question but I still do this from time to time. Did you put the clip in Wave or block view? You can't delete a clip in the other views. Also, check if you accidentally locked a clip. There's time lock which is delete-able and lock which you can't delete. control L on a pc-command L on a mac.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.