Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2022, 12:51 PM

Default Can't get PT Artist to run Helix Native

Did a search here for this issue but only found people selling their Helix Native licenses...hopefully that's not a bad sign regarding compatibility.

Anyway, my computer is a Mac Studio M1 Max. My OS is 12.3.1, and again I'm running PT Artist. Last night I downloaded the free trial of Helix Native. When I went to open a session after the Native installation, I got the message, "the following plugin (Native) failed to load because it is not a valid 64 bit AAX plugin".

I wasn't prompted to download Rosetta, and I've been running their HX Edit software just fine for my hardware version, a Helix LT.

Anyone successfully running Helix Native w/a setup similar to mine?
Old 07-03-2022, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Can't get PT Artist to run Helix Native

You need to download the AAX version of Helix Native.
Nothing to do with Rosetta.
PT cannot run VST or AU plugins.

Dominic
Old 07-03-2022, 01:07 PM

[I am assuming you properly installed a AAX/Pro Tools versions of this plugin, if you installed say a VST or AU version instead
you would not have seen the error message you did.]

Does Line 6 claims Helix Native works on Pro Tools on Apple Silicon Macs..

You are running what exact version of Pro Tools Artist? You should be on 2022.6 not that I expect that to fix this.

You don’t “download Rosetta” Rosetta 2 is a part of macOS on Apple Silicon macs.

All plugins running in Pro Tools on Apple Silicon Macs today are Intel binaries and will use Rosetta 2 without you doing anything.

This likely has nothing to do with Artist or any version of Pro Tools and more to do with the problems in the plugins, especially recent changes needed for iLok compatibility in Pro Tools. You can try trashing prefs etc. (help us help you up the top of each sell web page) but your first call probably should be to Line 6 support.

Luckily there are lots of guitar amp sims that run fine on Pro Tools on Apple Silicon, so if Helix does not…
Old 07-03-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You need to download the AAX version of Helix Native.
Nothing to do with Rosetta.
PT cannot run VST or AU plugins.

Dominic
Right, the first time I downloaded it I just did the auto install (if that's what they call it) where it downloads all the different versions. I thought maybe one of the non-AAX versions was creating the issue, so I reinstalled Native and made it a point to only install the AAX version, only to have the same problem.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
but your first call probably should be to Line 6 support.
I tried the Line 6 forums. still waiting for some answers but ultimately all I get is PT hate, especially regarding the "terrible AAX" as they call it. LOL
Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

You are running what exact version of Pro Tools Artist? You should be on 2022.6 not that I expect that to fix this.

Luckily there are lots of guitar amp sims that run fine on Pro Tools on Apple Silicon, so if Helix does not…

Artist V22.5.0.192

What are some of the favorites these days for amp sim plugins? I used the tried and true PSA-1 for years. I'm aware of Eleven, but that's pretty long in the tooth to now...unless they've been keeping it current.

I took a 4-year hiatus from PT so I'm not very savvy as to what's new and good these days.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:49 PM

Eleven Mk II amp sims (which are included in Artist with a subscription or support/update plan) are pretty good. Maybe less so if you are looking for high gain metal amps.

Eleven is old. Sure, the folks responsible left Avid years ago, but then a 1960's real Fender and Marshall amps are old and I'd still love to own many of those. I mostly use things like the JTM45 in Eleven II. The other plugins I use (very little) are Positive Grid's Bias Amp 2. I had those running on an M1 MBP when I had that, but back to Intel now on Monterey and Big Sur. And most other stuff is Fractal Axe FX or Eleven Rack hardware, that gets used much more. Other amp sim plugins I'd probably look at include those from Softtube. <- currently have a sale on.

There are separate things here. Run OK under Rosetta is one thing, most Plugins should just work. Run OK under Monterey with recent Pro Tools may be a separate question because of what seems like Apple security and iLok introduced issues. Many plugin vendors don't make compatibility details like this super clear.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-03-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 AM

Just checked - the free version of Helix Native is from 2017.
The last OS they support is OSX - i.e. Catalina.
No sign of Big Sur or Monterey or M1 support.
Unsurprising that it doesn't work.

Dominic
Old 07-04-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven O'Neill View Post
I tried the Line 6 forums. still waiting for some answers but ultimately all I get is PT hate
That's fair, after all the other forums filled with hate about Line 6 ****ty products and bad support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-05-2022, 01:47 AM

Helix Native has been tested and works as expected. I checked this out before getting it and things run smoothly on an M1 Mac Mini with Monterey and Pro Tools 2021.12.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/ge...ibility-r1007/