Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Would you recomend Pro Tools to a friend?

I still consider my self a novice because I ma not a pro studio and sometimes I go for a stretch without opening PT. I ask because I have been using PT for along time but have always had issues. Always having to trouble shoot. As of late it seems to get PT to play I have to adjust ram/buffer settings either up or down. I want to recommend to people but I can't with what seems to be a lot of trouble shooting
Old 02-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Would you recomend Pro Tools to a friend?

Only if that person needed to collaborate with other Pro Tools users and/or was willing to do the necessary research for and optimizations of a computer that would run Pro Tools without (too many) issues and they were tech savvy enough to solve issues.

If they were just starting, I would recommend a different DAW. Reaper for multitrack, then StudioOne, then Adobe Audition (but AA more for radio production). Cubase or Logic (Mac only) if they primarily wanted to use MIDI and Virtual instruments. There are others, like Harrison Mixbus or UAD's LUNA, Tracktion, Wavelab, even DaVinci Resolve has a well respected, built in audio editor. Sequoia, SoundForge, BandLab (all Windows only AFAIK).

Lots of choices for a DAW besides Pro Tools. Number one recommendation would be Reaper as it will run on almost any computer, is extremely light-weight, very reasonably priced and is updated continually.

As always, YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Despite being a Pro Tools-only guy, I agree. For a home recordist and hobbyist, Pro Tools can be too finicky. If you don't need to collaborate with other PT users, I agree with all of the above with 1 extra option: Cakewalk by Bandcamp. This used to be Sonar and is free. All of these DAW options are capable of making recordings as good as the user's skills can deliver

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2021, 12:56 PM

I'd only recommend Pro Tools to an experienced musician/producer/ engineer, but they would already know about it. To the weekend warrior or someone who wants to make music without the experience behind them, my advice would be to get a Mac, play with GarageBand and get the feel of it. Then move onto Logic.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:12 AM

Well I did recommend it to my brother does that count?

Wave-T.com
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 AM

The weed has expressed my opinion as well but I chose PT for another reason which I will cover later but first, I am one not in the Sonar/Bandcamp approval arena. They burned a lot of people through the years with wacky performance, shifting design, and masking a marginally usable platform with a miriad of plugins that they never upgraded. Today I would reccomend Luna as a better recording tool for audio. Logic and others that have premier midi capabilities would be more fun. Depends on your focus.

I went for Protools after trying several other DAWs because I heard the recordings that came out of that platform. These were better sounding than my recordings and the tools i.e. plugins were more sophisticated than many of the VST plugins I was using in non PT environments. Most of the DAWs pretty much sound the same, it's the available tools and the sound of those tools which can be different. I figured if I went with PT then there was no excuse in why my recordings weren't as good as many of the pros who used it. I have not regretted that decision because it eliminated a large degree of doubt I had. It also exposed me to the same imaging and EQ tools that I saw in most of the learning videos out there which are mostly on the PT platform.

The midi implementation in PT is not as sophisticated as other DAW platforms. I've learned to live with that and can make it work. Just putting that out there for a new user. If midi is not important, I think the work that Jaquire King and the UA folks are putting into Luna learning videos is notable and if audio only was my interest (not combining VIs and audio) then I think it's a really great platform. But I am on Windows and it's only for Apple OS at this time so I'm going to hang on PT for now as it's stable for me.

Last, PT does not suffer low memory or low chip speed performance. It can run on a laptop but if you want a resiliant environment, you are better on a Desktop type machine with some high end specs. If you want a home laptop environment, like others have said, there are better and workable options.

Last edited by philgrab; 02-15-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:56 AM

I would. But not AVID!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!