Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Pro Tools outputs stereo only or "path n/a"

If this has been covered before I apologize that I can't find it on the forum. I'm running Pro Tools 12 on Windows 10 Pro with a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX interface.

When trying to reamp a mono track I want to select a single line output for that track, but my options are limited to stereo MOST of the time. I say most because occasionally I can get a full listing of stereo outputs along with their mono subsets, like this for example:

Output 3-4 (Stereo) --> Output 3-4
Output 3 (Mono)
Output 4 (Mono)

This way I can of course select Output 3, say, for the mono track to be reamped.

But MOST of the time I get only this:

Output 3-4 (Stereo) --> Output 3-4

All the hardware outputs are listed this way with no mono subset.

There is thus no way to select a mono output for the track. I've dinked with the IO setup for days on end to no avail, in fact with seemingly almost random results. For example I made Output 3-4 (Stereo) inactive and added Output 3 (Mono) and Output 4 (Mono), only to have just Output 3 (mono) show up as an output option with no Output 4. Then after restarting PT12 even Output 3 disappeared.

Furthermore, when trying to select an output path, PT12 displays the entire list of 8PreX outputs, each showing the stereo and mono options, but only the main outputs (1 and 2) are active. All others are marked "path n/a", and therefore unavailable. Beneath this list is the list of (stereo only) available outputs.

I can work around this by selecting a stereo line out for the mono track and panning it to which ever output I'm connected to. But I think being able to send a mono track to a single line output would be a pretty basic thing. It was easy with PTLE 5.3.1 and the Digi 001.

Thanks in advance if anybody can give me a clue.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools outputs stereo only or "path n/a"

2 things to look at:
1-make sure your "audio engine" is actually your interface(there are many reasons why this can get changed, so its worth checking).
2-read up(in the manual) about output PATHS, and SUB-PATHS. Any stereo output path, can have mono sub-paths, but its usually up to the operator to configure for it(in the same way that a stereo INPUT can have mono sub-path inputs). It can take a while to get your head around the IO settings, and the more IO available, the more complex it can get in a hurry(I know because I have had to configure 48 inputs with both stereo and mono paths, 24 active outputs and 8 mono hardware inserts(with an available stereo insert that uses mono 1&2 as a possible stereo path)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Dave is right, you need to get acquainted with the IO Settings. I'll give you a tip that might speed up resolving this.

In the IO Settings window input tab, select all paths, delete and then hit the default button. Do this again for the outputs tab and the busses tab. This should default you to main stereo paths and mono sub-paths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I did the delete IO paths and click "Default" thing many times to no avail. But I think I may have a fix. Problems with PT12 seeing the Clarett interface started after I foolishly clicked "Check for Updates" for Win 10, but shortly after that I was out of the studio for 2 months due to a family crisis. When I got back, these other odd problems became apparent as well. I think the solution was to simply reinstall the driver for the Clarett. After doing that I can merely click "Default" in the IO window and the correct IO paths become available. I need to do it for each recent session, but that is doable, and so far it seems to be working. So you are correct that the issue is PT not seeing the IO parameters of the interface... I just needed to first reinstall the interface driver which I suspect was corrupted by the fine coders at Microsoft during their October update fiasco.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:43 PM

Your audio interface should NOT be used for Windows sounds/audio. Set your onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio in Control Panel>Sound. If you had already done this before the update, some Windows updates will switch it back. I always check these settings, my USB Power Management settings and my System Restore settings (off because I use a third party imaging program and don't rely on System Restore) after any Windows updates.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-16-2020, 07:01 AM

Hi....my concern is by all accounts with the I/O settings. My Playback motor is the Pro Tools Aggregate I/O and I trust I followed the means on setting that up effectively. My information gives off an impression of being acceptable with 8 ways names A1-2, A3-4, and so on Nonetheless, My yield ways are C|24 5.1 Surround (Format 5.1), C|24 Cue, A 9-10, A 11-12, A 13-14, A 15-16. I don't figure anything appears to be excessively dubious about that, yet when I make another sound track and attempt to record every one of my yields are recorded with way – n/a – way inert. Along these lines, I can't playback anything I record in Pro Tools. I don't think the issue lies with the board or the speakers since I can get YouTube video sound to move through it. Much the same as how my info perceives various ways on the blender, shouldn't the yield likewise permit me to dole out different ways? Or then again even any?

quick turn pcb assembly services

Last edited by NelliBalzer; 12-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelliBalzer View Post
Hi....my concern is by all accounts with the I/O settings. My Playback motor is the Pro Tools Aggregate I/O and I trust I followed the means on setting that up effectively. My information gives off an impression of being acceptable with 8 ways names A1-2, A3-4, and so on Nonetheless, My yield ways are C|24 5.1 Surround (Format 5.1), C|24 Cue, A 9-10, A 11-12, A 13-14, A 15-16. I don't figure anything appears to be excessively dubious about that, yet when I make another sound track and attempt to record every one of my yields are recorded with way – n/a – way inert. Along these lines, I can't playback anything I record in Pro Tools. I don't think the issue lies with the board or the speakers since I can get YouTube video sound to move through it. Much the same as how my info perceives various ways on the blender, shouldn't the yield likewise permit me to dole out different ways? Or then again even any?
Just an opinion, but Aggregate is not the best way to run

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave