Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-16-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Zoom Meeting and Pro Tools 6101 errors?

We are on Pro Tools 2021.3 on Catalina on a brand new Mac Pro 2.7GHz 12-Core with 32GB of Ram.

The system runs great, but when we do Zoom meetings we are getting 6101 errors after 5 or 6 takes.

We've tried different buffer settings and zero plugins and still getting this issue recording just one track against a stereo file for playback.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by joepopp; 04-16-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Zoom Meeting and Pro Tools 6101 errors?

My preference is to run Zoom on a separate computer(but maybe you can't for some reason). Hopefully, someone else can offer a better solution

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-16-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My preference is to run Zoom on a separate computer(but maybe you can't for some reason). Hopefully, someone else can offer a better solution

How do you share your screen though? I can see why the OP would have a use case for running PT in a Zoom... Perhaps to show or demonstrate via screen sharing. Also, if everyone on the call has their audio ported through their I/O then audio is pretty darn good playing a session as it's coming through the monitors vs computer speakers.

I ran a zoom session last week on PT 2021 with no issues... Perhaps try trashing prefs and all the other usual stuff? Check system resources, could be CPU utilization or buffer size issues. Here is a list from Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM

I'm on Windows. I run Zoom - or any other browser app - from and to my onboard soundcard (Realtek) and cable that into and out of my RME UFX to/from Pro Tools, coming from Pro Tools by Pre Fader Sends.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-21-2021, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the reply we did try all of the usual stuff but I guess I could go over it again.

Playback works great but when trying to record we are getting the errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
How do you share your screen though? I can see why the OP would have a use case for running PT in a Zoom... Perhaps to show or demonstrate via screen sharing. Also, if everyone on the call has their audio ported through their I/O then audio is pretty darn good playing a session as it's coming through the monitors vs computer speakers.

I ran a zoom session last week on PT 2021 with no issues... Perhaps try trashing prefs and all the other usual stuff? Check system resources, could be CPU utilization or buffer size issues. Here is a list from Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-21-2021, 07:24 AM

You don't specify interface or any specifics of the system, but that's a CoreAudio CPU timeout so I'm assuming you're running a native rig. Obvious questions are about buffer settings, actual routing between Pro Tools and Zoom, are they sharing an interface, if so how? etc. I can say fwiw, that I run Zoom sessions alongside Pro Tools on the same system sharing screens and with Audiomovers all day long without issue, so it's certainly possible, though my rig is HDX.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 AM

Zoom is a known CPU and ram hog. It can take up 50% of your CPU alone. With Pro Tools taking up the other 50% or more you’re going to run into some major CPU overload depending on your type of PT session.

On a 2013 Mac Pro trash can with 64GB of ram I never had any issues running everything on one machine natively, no HDX. This was a simple record session with minimal tracks and plugins.

Your system power and amount of Ram will determine performance when running these two applications together on one machine.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:42 AM

So after further testing, Logic Pro is having the same exact issue!

Of course there is no error code, but while tracking we are getting horrible digital noise and have to toggle the buffer to get rid of it. It happens every once in a while. In a 4 hour session the issue occurred maybe 4 times.

My thought now is a hardware clocking issue. We have a Big Ben as the master and we are clocking a Yamaha DM2000 and an Apogee Symphony (first gen with a fire bridge).

I will test and report my findings here.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 AM

Further to my post above, when I first started using Zoom with Pro Tools, I got crackling throughout any recording, not just random, but continuous, ruining any take. I was using the Zoom app downloaded to my computer. Once I uninstalled that and only use Zoom through my browser, all issues went away.

Unfortunately, Zoom makes it very difficult to just use it in a browser, they really, really want you to download and install their app. Fortunately, I was able to find an extension called Zoom Redirector and that forces Zoom to open up in my browser directly.

Zoom also requires a minimum sample rate of 48K (and 4 GB of RAM, but I'm sure you have way more than that in your computer).

To be fair, I don't think Zoom or any other browser-based two-way audio app was initially designed to work with a DAW.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction