Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Default OMF Issues in PT11

I know that the issue of Pro Tools 11 not being able to import OMF files has been discussed. Does anybody know if Avid as acknowledged it? Bouncing between PT10 and PT11 is getting old, especially when troubleshooting other things.

I also came across another possible OMF issue in PT11.

I tried moving a PT session that originated as on OMF from my laptop to my main machine. I mixed the project in PT11.

When I move the session folder and files to my main machine, some of the files cannot be relinked, even though they are all there. The task manager/relink box doesn't work either.

When I open the same session in PT10 on my main machine, the files relink no problem, I don't change anything to make this happen.

The files it usually can't find are the video file, and also audio files that started as two mono tracks, but I moved them to a stereo track. The client always has the music as two mono tracks but I prefer to move them to a stereo track.

For some reason, Pro Tools 11 can't relink this when I move from the laptop to the Mac Pro, but Pro Tools 10 can.

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Re: OMF Issues in PT11

I have been meaning to make this exact post for a while. OMF/AAF needs to work in PT11 at some point. Is this being worked on, Avid? I haven't heard anything official addressing the issue. Did I just miss it?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkins View Post
... When I move the session folder and files to my main machine, some of the files cannot be relinked, even though they are all there. The task manager/relink box doesn't work either.
I can reproduce this in PT11.0.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hoffman View Post
Is this being worked on, Avid?
+1
Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
I can reproduce this in PT11.0.2.

+1
Thanks for looking into this. I wasn't sure if I was overlooking something for relinking the files. The fact that PT10 relinks everything w/o issues, and PT11 can't made me think it was a PT11 bug.

I hope AVID is monitoring this and addresses these issues in the next update.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:37 AM

I'm really curious as to why this issue doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Are there not very many post facilities using 11 yet? Are we all just opening OMFs and AAFs in 10 and then working in 11 and not giving it another thought? I'm trying to remember if I've ever successfully opened one in 11. Broken OMF/AAF is a big deal, right? Right guys? Guys?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hoffman View Post
Are there not very many post facilities using 11 yet?
Don't think so. Still too many essential plugins missing plus bugs like the ones you mention.

I tried a "slow" transition to 11 but due to lack of plugins I use often I can not make the move yet.

(AV, Speakerphone, Massey, Lowender, almost entire NI stuff, SoundToys, Soundminer rewire and also 11 doesn't accept foreign language characters in clip labels so even spotting ADR/Foley notes are currently not possible for me. Also scrubbing picture through BM-card is currently laggy/jittery)

I find myself reverting back to 10 quite often. I only do Conformalizing in 11 because it doesn't crash on memory issues and then do the fixes in 10.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 10-17-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM

I started mixing audio for video in PT11 as soon as Waves went AAX. I miss UAD mainly, but they are expected to be announced any time now, and AAX versions of the other smaller companies are slowly trickling in as well.

I still mix music for bands/artists in Pro Tools 10 because I feel UAD is essential for that, but for the type of post/video stuff I'm mixing, I can easily get by in PT11 with Waves/iZotope/PSP/Sonnox.

I'm happy to make that sacrifice in exchange for quickly bouncing stems using offline bounce. PT11 is a big time saver as far as that goes.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Just did my PT 11 updates.. Same thing.. OMF's having a VERY hard time opening. I can open that exact OMF in PT10, no issues.. Also, I was getting an error regarding not having the right codec for the video I was watching (ProRes Proxy)..but the codec is there, because QuickTime 7 and X will play the video. Here's a screen shot of the OMF error.. looks like a Sushi issue. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 4.13.53 PM.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM

I know of no post studio in NYC using 11...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:35 PM

Hi, On the 18th of October Chief Technician posted in this thread that several OMF issues are being worked on for PT11.1. update. Hopefully the issues here are amongst those worked on. There is still no release date for this update yet.
Andrew