Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Troubles waking from sleep

Hi,

Intel MAC (new), 2 GHZ, OS 10.4.8, MBOX2, PT LE 7.1.1. When I wake computer from sleep, if there was an open PT session, the transport does not work (cannot play a track). This appears to be repeatable. If I quit PT and re-open the session, things are back to normal.

Also, sometimes when I record enable a track, the meters go to high yellow and stay there, and the mic's (Rode condensers, phantom power, flawless plugged into any other equipment) are not heard in headphones. Unplugging the USB cable from MBOX2 or restarting the whole system clears this up.

Restarting MBOX, PT, or the whole system is not a satisfying solution, to say the least.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Troubles waking from sleep

Pro Tools does not support sleep on Mac. Disable this function. Read the manual plus read me's if you want smooth performance.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Page 20 may be helpful
Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. Two issues:

1. I am not able to dedicate this machine exclusively to music recording. For screen life, etc. it is reasonable to let the system sleep (I never shut down). I set the sleep interval fairly long (an hour), but do sleep the system overnight.

2. I just migrated from a ppc mac (G4) where waking from sleep was not an issue.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 AM

In which case you need to have two user accounts, one could be dedicated to pro tools where sleep mode is disabled and follwing what Phil and Shawn said.

The other could be set up as your day to day acct, where you can have your word processing, email etc.

It is the way to go if you want good pro tools performance.

You can turn your screen off indepentently from sleep mode, which will lengthen screen life go to "display" in system prefs.

and.....

read the manual
Old 12-10-2006, 08:10 AM

There is another alternative, fairly straight ahead-save and close your session, quit PT, sleep...

edwardo
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM

All,

THanks for the replies, but these are work arounds and not solutions.

The problem is digi taking on or short circuiting OS functions that the OS does better (particularly OS X, which for all other apps is stable for weeks on end, as I take my laptop home, work, for coffee, etc. without shutting down, restarting, or switching user accounts). It is resonable to check mail while bouncing to disk, or leave a session open in the bacground so I can come right back to it tomorrow or when I have an idea. All other apps on the Mac work this way.

I might understand people willing to do all these suggested work arounds for Windows, where seemingly sensleless workarounds are par for the course. That's why I don't do Windows.

PT has displaced powerpoint as the app that most causes flaky problems like this, which is a shame because PT really should be excellent and for features deserves its reputation as market leader.

It is all a question of adhering to the Apple developer interfaces (also reflected in PT being relatively late in support of Intel Mac's, or even a few years back lagging in support for OS X).
Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 PM

You need to turn off your Digidesign interfaces for this to work, then it will work fine within Mac OS X.

I don't make these decisions... it's just the way it is. Deal with it.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
PT has displaced powerpoint as the app that most causes flaky problems like this, which is a shame because PT really should be excellent and for features deserves its reputation as market leader.
I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous notion. You can still set your monitors to turn off, it works fine for me. Sleep mode without Pro Tools launched or Digidesign hardware on will work also. I can't see how this is such a disgrace. There are other functions that need to be disabled within Mac OS X. Jeez; to get Windows to operate Pro Tools is 10 times more complicated. With Mac's OS it's a breeze.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 AM

Are you that busy that you need to check your emails while bouncing to disk?
Seriously your points are not valid, as Phil said. Working with high sample rate digital audio is a completely different kettle of fish to having itunes run in the backround whil checking your email and having something downloading at the same time.

You may call them workarounds but they are actually solutions.