Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Default Re: UAD Apollo Twin Vs Avid Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There were not ssues with USB3 and PT. It had to do with interfaces like Presonus Audiobox not being able to function on USB3. The UAD (and other USB3 interfaces) works fine, it just has to be USB3, will not work on USB2.
Thank you for your response. I must admit to being shocked. I had thought all this time that USB3 was an unsupported no-no for Pro Tools.

Alrighty, then. This opens up possibilities for me.

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM

OK... so I've been living with the Twin for a week or so now.

I've been thinking that it sounds a little ...flat.... and the output to monitors just doesn't get as loud as Im used to when i really want to crank it.

I hooked the Omni back up to test... man... the Omni is WAY louder on playback... any idea why? My level on the COnsole 2.0 are all maxed out..

Omni also sounds clearer in the low end. Apollos was a bit muddy in a few spots I was really paying attention to.

Anyone else noticed the Apollo having low output? Dont get me wrong.. it's still relatively loud... but the Omni - I cant even get the volume to 0.... its just way louder.

thanks
s0nguy
Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Omni max output level = +24dBu
Apollo Twin is +18dBV =~ +20dBu

Omni outputs at 0dBFS are 4dB hotter and will be a lot louder. I find a similar change with the Ensemble Thunderbolt vs AVID I/O

Quality of the Twin I can't speak to but the OMNI is top notch. I would think the comparison would be more favorable with the newer Black face apollos - not the Twin.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 08-20-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:56 PM

Silver Apollos are a little lean on the headphone out level, but otherwise get along fine. The Blackface Apollos are a bit better. Twin does have the variable impedance on the instrument inputs like the Blackfaces and identical preamps, but converters on the Blackface are a bit better. Closer to Omni. However, Twin can do more simultaneous ins! Omni is so limited.

I own both, BTW.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 PM

The Apollo Twin can also be chained with other Apollo units which I think makes buying either knowing you can expand later much more compelling. Of course with Pro Tools and a CoreAudio interface like these you can out of 32 x 32 IO fairly fast, but still a nice combination for many users.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:21 PM

Default UAD Apollo Twin Vs Avid Omni

You can't go wrong with either. The beauty of the twin is you get the dsp onboard, the OMNI, you get none unless you get the HDX card. I don't see any negatives to the twin other than the amount of horse power with the duo, especially if you are only recording one or two inputs at a time.

I have a Twin Duo and 8 Quad for my MBP. I also have an OMNI and HD I/O with HDX on my PC, with an OCTO card as well. The twin and OMNI have the same number of headphone outs by them selves. With the 8 in the loop and the monitor you can get 4 HP. The OMNI has more capability and with the HD I/O I have a hearback system which is easily integrated and thus have 5 "more-me" mixers.

Personally, I prefer the HD rig for recording it is much easier when I am playing and recording, however I can't take it with me.

Using the Apollo units and console is easy, only because I just commit everything in. The unison technology I love. I actually use the unison mic pres, (6 between the twin and 8), and run straight into my HD I/O just like I would with any hardware mic pre chain, It works slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 AM

thanks for all of the replies!

Since I am planning on adding the Apollo 8 by year's end, I am going to stick with the Apollo twin and just get used to it. I need to be portable and need stability going back and forth from my office studio (Apollo twin) and home. IT looks like the outout on the 8 is 20.2db....so none of the Ua offerings are as loud as the Omni.

HD native rig for sale in buy and sell :)

S0nguy