Avid Scorch

Avid Scorch (iOS) Forum

Scorch Forum Home Page

Forum Terms of Use

Scorch for iPad Support FAQ

Avid Scorch

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Avid Scorch (iOS) Forum

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Scorch files purchased from Musicnotes?

I've been purchasing downloadable sheet music from Musicnotes.com for a few years now. Several of the pieces were Scorch format. Musicnotes' iPad app specifically excludes the Scorch files. Will the Scorch app allow me to view the Scorch files I purchased from Musicnotes?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Scorch files purchased from Musicnotes?

Hi jgrnt1,

I’m afraid, at the moment, that we don’t have an agreement with Musicnotes that would allow us to make available for redownload any Scorch scores that you purchased from Musicnotes.com.

You could try asking Musicnotes whether they intend to make any such facility available in their own app, but if you want those scores on your iPad, you’ll need to purchase the equivalent sheet music (published by Hal Leonard or Music Sales) from the Scorch Store.

Sam
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Sam,

Thank you for the reply, but my understanding with the Musicnotes app is that Scorch does not allow them to add that functionality to the app. If this is true, then what you are saying is that you're locking me out of some of my music on the Musicnotes app, so that I will have to purchase the music again from you.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hi jgrnt1,

The MusicNotes app just doesn't use the technology behind Scorch on iOS, yet. We haven't locked you out from some of your music on the Musicnotes app. Musicnotes have chosen to make their PDF content available to redownload on the iPad. Their use of Scorch on their website allows you to pay for a printed copy of a score, not the right to a digital copy.

There are a couple options that they could explore: either they approach us with the intent of using Scorch in their app, or they allow Scorch to have access to all their user account and sales information to make it possible for you to re-download the scores.

Either way, it's not possible now but anything's possible in the future

Sam
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 PM

I've bought sheet music from Musicnotes.com and Sheetmusicdirect... and now from the Scorch store - kinda getting messy with songs scattered all over the place.

Musicnotes has their own iPad viewer, but Sheetmusicdirect DOES NOT. I'm curious if Scorch songs bought from Sheetmusicdirect can be viewed in the Scorch for iPad app in the future?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Voxel,

The cases of SheetMusicDirect and MusicNotes are very similar in this regard; as Sam mentioned, they allow you to purchase the right to a print, not the right to the actual score itself. In this way, it's not possible to view the scores on the iPad just yet.

Best wishes,

Joe Pearson
Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pearson View Post
Hello Voxel,

The cases of SheetMusicDirect and MusicNotes are very similar in this regard; as Sam mentioned, they allow you to purchase the right to a print, not the right to the actual score itself. In this way, it's not possible to view the scores on the iPad just yet.

Best wishes,

Joe Pearson
The weird part is SheetMusicDirect allows me to view past purchases and play (full score) the digital files via the web Scorch player (regardless if I have printed or not). I'd be willing to pay a small amount on top of what I've paid for the digital rights for use on an iPad. Isn't SheetMusicDirect owned/controlled by Hal Leonard?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Voxel,

Whilst the Scorch plug-in is provided by us, the way that SheetMusicDirect chooses to use it is entirely up to them. Scorch is merely the front end to their system; the majority of their system will consist of some sort of database of scores that we don't have access to.

As Sam mentioned, there could be leeway for some sort of collaboration in the future:

Quote:
... either they approach us with the intent of using Scorch in their app, or they allow Scorch to have access to all their user account and sales information to make it possible for you to re-download the scores.
In the mean time, there isn't a provision in place for you to do this. Let's hope something can be sorted out in the future!

Best wishes,

Joe