Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 05-18-2001, 01:58 PM

Default insertion follows playback

gee, wouldn't it be nice if there was a button on the procontrol that controlled insertion follows playback? wouldn't it be even better if that button lit up to indicate which mode it was in? like maybe if I could reassign a button that I never use (like "audition") to do that?
Old 05-19-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Re: insertion follows playback

yes yes yes !

Being able to switch rapidly from "insertion follows playback" to the other modes would be great since this has great impact on the way ProTools behaves.

Great suggestion

------------------
Mark Haliday
CUSTOM STUDIO
Paris, France
Old 05-19-2001, 11:50 AM

Technically speaking, there already is a shortcut key that achieves this. If you have command key focus turned on, the "N" key on your keyboard toggles the Insertion Follows... mode.

Now, that isn't to say that I wouldn't love to see a key on Edit Pack that lights up to give immediate reporting of this mode, but at least there is a single key that sets it instead of navigating through the Preferences window.

Prior to using the command key focus, I had a Quickey programmed to achieve the same result. That would be another potential solution.

All the best,
Stephen Barden
Supervising Sound Editor
Sound Dogs
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max 32GB RAM
HD Native / HD OMNI / Dock / S1

www.imdb.com/name/nm0002486
Old 05-20-2001, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback !

although I have RTFM from cover to cover god knows how many times for the past year I haven't got to using command key focus yet, nor the quickey feature. Guess I will have to roam around the manual again !
Thanks again

------------------
Mark Haliday
CUSTOM STUDIO
Paris, France
Old 05-20-2001, 09:56 AM

Weird huh? I really resisted Command Key Focus when it was introduced...don't really know why. I think I felt a certain amount of pride in being able to operate the software pretty efficiently after using it for so many years "as-is" or with using third-party add-ons like Quickeys.

But, I have to admit, once I started looking at it closely and realized that there were several things that I could do with Command Key Focus turned on that I couldn't do without, I began to get turned on to it.

For example, here's another good one - moving your insertion point or an entire selection *vertically* from one track to another. It can be done with Pro Control easily, but it can also be done within the software only - as long as you have Command Key Focus turned on. That one has made a huge impact on the way I work - copying and pasting sections of automation for example.

Anyway, check it out if you get the chance.

Gives a new perspective on a piece of software that we have all been using similarly for several years!

All the best,
Barden
Sound Dogs
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max 32GB RAM
HD Native / HD OMNI / Dock / S1

www.imdb.com/name/nm0002486
Old 05-22-2001, 04:23 PM

Stop being a woman and hit N .
Queen Thor. If you want to complain about something complain about the Westlakes or that Scotty guy under your desk.