Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 AM

Default Sync / framerate problem

Hi all,

I recorded some voiceover for a film (13 minutes). All settings on 24 fps (cinema), I just received a quicktime and extracted the audio as a guidetrack. Everything worked perfectly in Pro Tools. I recorded a mono voice stem and exported it as .wav for my client.
Now the client imported the file (Vegas video editor) and complained said the audiofile is approx. 30 seconds (!) longer than his movie. He settings are 24 fps/48 kHz as well. Any ideas?

Regards,

C
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Sync / framerate problem

Just to be sure :
the setting inside the .mov was 24 fps,
the Pro Tools session setting was 24 fps,
the stem was exported in 24 fps ?

Last edited by joachim; 01-24-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Your Sync Sample Rate was the same as your internal Pro Tools Sample Rate? If no, maybe your client not only hears a longer audio, but also at a different pitch?

Timothy
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Yes, Joachim, all was set to 24 fps. The stem was consolidated and exported. Are there any extra framerate settings for export?
The .mov is running in sync with my 24 fps session
And yes Timothy, the pitch is the same.
Seems like the problem lies in the client`s import procedure.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Hey Basslab.

Framerate settings in Pro Tools really have no effect on the duration or sync of audio to picture. It's simply changes the ruler that pro tools uses to count time within the session. The real always lies in Sample Rate.

First thing I would do is take your Voice over bounce and import to the quicktime (Pro is required). Open the video file you were sent and the audio you exported (assuming you exported the full length of the guide audio you imported into pro tools) .

With the exported audio quicklime open select all and copy. Then move the cursor to the very beginning of your Ref Video and select "ADD TO MOVIE" from the edit menu.

No open Movie properties (Apple J on mac) you should see the original sound tracks, the sound track you just added, and the video tracks. There will probably be two time code tracks now as well.

At this point play the file back and confirm the sync. If your export lines up with the Quicktime ref this way it's one of two issues.

Either the editor made a mistake when he exported your guide track. Or He's making a mistake when he imports. But either way you know your workflow was correct.

As a final question does Vegas suffer from the same issue as FCP regarding pure frame rates (ie 24 / 25) in FCP if you bring in audio that bounced to match 24 / 25 it auto conforms it without telling you and appears to not be in sync.

cheers
Kevin
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Is it maybe related to the 'FCP bug to watch out for' thread in the stickies?

I don't know how Vegas works, but I still get this from time to time with FCP editors, because PT doesn't stamp the metadata of the Wav file with the framerate when it exports it, FCP applies a timestretch to the audio on import.

Get a free copy of Wave Agent from the Sound Devices website.
You can load your Wav into it and edit the metadata forcing the file to be read as 24fps.

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 AM

Hey Kevin,
You must have been posting the same time as me, great minds.
Cheers
Martin
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Sync / framerate problem

Interesting tip using wave agent Martin!

The current workflow I've had all employees here use is to add audio to 3hr black QuickTime movies of the desired frame-rate and save as a ref file which pulls it into FCP properly

Cheers
Kevin
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM

The Wave Agent method has solved it every time for me.

Its also a great piece of software for previewing multi-track sound rushes, when you're searching for that alternate take.

I hope it solved Basslab's problem?

Best

Martin