Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-11-2021, 03:23 AM

Default MacBook Pro M1 MAX - Pro Tools Performance?

What is the performance hit when running Pro Tools on a new MacBook Pro M1 MAX running under Rosetta 2 vs native?

Monterey memory leak situation aside for now. Yes I know @JFreak Monterey is currently a car crash

Under Rosetta 2 emulation with commonly used plugins, is it in the 70 to 80% range? I know it is hypothetical at this stage, but how would you call it?

I should know this myself, as I have 13 M1 MBP and run a number of casual tests comparing the MBP to my i9 Hackintosh. I estimate that the MBP is down about 20 to 35% under emulation, compared to what I would expect to see in my homebrew benchmarks.

Just trying to work out, if now would be a good time to put in an order before Pro Tools is fully native and if I can put to use right away on some demanding mixing sessions. It will likely take 5 to 6 weeks to get anyways...
Old 11-11-2021, 03:44 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro M1 MAX - Pro Tools Performance?

Problems aside, good news is Apple Silicon seems to be able to distribute plugin load more evenly to all cores. Difference is massive compared to Intels. This M1 mac mini (4+4 cores) feels just as good as 10-core Xeon even though this only has 4 performance cores.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:24 AM

Looks pretty amazing actually an this is only the base 14" MBP with M1 Pro chip (with 1 TB SSD upgrade)

https://youtu.be/9P3Rc2jFYns

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-11-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Looks pretty amazing actually an this is only the base 14" MBP with M1 Pro chip (with 1 TB SSD upgrade)

https://youtu.be/9P3Rc2jFYns
Did I miss the part where he went in to mixing with Pro Tools? That is what I am after..
Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 AM

Mixing is easier to the system than recording, and you can use higher buffers too. If this works, mixing will work too.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mixing is easier to the system than recording, and you can use higher buffers too. If this works, mixing will work too.
Maybe, but not directly comparable. With the range of plugins these days that have intensive oversampling especially. I am specifically asking about mixing power - and how much down on CPU overhead is running Pro Tools under Rosetta 2 vs expected native headroom?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:48 AM

In my testing (I have a fully loaded M1 mac mini) I have found that Apple Silicon uses all performance cores evenly and can confirm that the video linked above is just what I see here. It also looks like this box has comparable processing power to 10-core 3.0GHz Mac Pro (2013) which I think is impressive.

However, some plugins are not behaving well on Rosetta, so for mixing purposes you better wait out until there is at least native PT software and native plugins start dropping.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro M1 MAX - Pro Tools Mixing Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In my testing (I have a fully loaded M1 mac mini) I have found that Apple Silicon uses all performance cores evenly and can confirm that the video linked above is just what I see here. It also looks like this box has comparable processing power to 10-core 3.0GHz Mac Pro (2013) which I think is impressive.

However, some plugins are not behaving well on Rosetta, so for mixing purposes you better wait out until there is at least native PT software and native plugins start dropping.
With respect, that is not what I am asking. Wrong machine and wrong application.

MacBook Pro M1 MAX mixing performance with Pro Tools anyone?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:54 AM

Probably not that machine. But if this box performs well, the MAX will perform better. My point was performance is not always dependent on hardware power, and in this case software is limiting.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Did I miss the part where he went in to mixing with Pro Tools? That is what I am after..
True he was not mixing, ( but of course your OP did not specify "mixing" it asked about "running Pro Tools" )
So you did not "miss it " because you did not ask about it
Even so I would think being able to record 400 audio tracks, all with two plugins ( apparently not CPU intensive plugins ) But still ,,,considering he was recording all that running @ 32 sample buffer, all at the same time, I would think that would amount to a pretty good amount of headroom for most mixing situations .. Now he did not record any VI's in the PT portion but he was playing back some 30 in the Logic portion with 90 audio and then later played back 200 VI tracks..... now how that reflect on the difference between Rosetta and Native I have no clue ...

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-11-2021 at 07:13 AM.