Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM

Question determine the tempo of a loop

how do you go about it? I think I might be doing it the cave man way. I take some audio and get a good loop of it on the timeline. Then I use tap tempo to get in the ballpark. then I zoom into the right edge of the loop and make manual adjustments to the tempo until the end of the loop lines up perfectly with the next measure marker.

I use a couple of looper pedals in my own music so I wind up dumping loops into the computer but then want to add stuff and loop other things so getting them on a bars/beats timeline is really helpful.

Takes a while and takes a fair amount of guess work. I'm thinking, "shouldn't this damn computer be computing this for me??" :) Tell me there's a better way!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Default Re: determine the tempo of a loop

Will, if you're running 7.4 in the Preferences Processing Tab enable 'Drag & Drop from Desktop Conforms to Session Tempo' and 'Automatically Copy Files on Import'.

Drag the audio to Desktop and then to the Timeline, in Workspace in the Tempo column the original tempo will be displayed. Though, the audio because of Elastic Audio will conform to the sessions tempo.

There are some 7.4 vids on DTV that Phil covers for more workflow ideas.

filosofem
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM

You can also take the wav file and go to the very beginning of the first transient. Take that and highlight out to say the beginning of the 4th measure. You then go to the menu and go to EVENTS (I think) and do a "deteremine tempo" and it will give you a estimate on the selected section. You can use that for the rest of it with elastic audio and make all the downbeats fit to the grid.

Make sense?

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks fellas. I'll give both a go when I get home tonight.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM

OT: Doc, what is that crazy bass drum pedal robot thing on your site? I want one! Wouldn't mind a vintech dual 72 either but hey, robots before mic pres.