Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 11:36 AM

Default YOUR METHOD TO..

Whaz up DUC,

I'm bout to track vocals and wanted to know of any options or opinions as far as a nice setup on tracking your inputs.

Meaning....

Is there a noticable differenc in recording in 1 mono audio track, then duplicating it to make a two track left and right mono.

Is it possible to record one input channel and making a stereo track?

If not, is it feasible to use two mics for 1 stereo track. And will the results give a wider dynamic vocal track. Trial and error I'm sure.

I have the 002 and plan on using those pre's.

I'm just looking for nice options with nice results. I know that my Protools fam will give me good input.

Thanks in adavance everyone...yall the best.

V/R
Old 01-08-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: YOUR METHOD TO..

Quote:
Originally posted by DEVIZE:

Is there a noticable differenc in recording in 1 mono audio track, then duplicating it to make a two track left and right mono.

Is it possible to record one input channel and making a stereo track?

If not, is it feasible to use two mics for 1 stereo track. And will the results give a wider dynamic vocal track. Trial and error I'm sure.

V/R
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Devize -

I suggest you record mono tracks and have the vocalist double them. You cannot record a stereo track with a mono source. You can "fake" a doubled vocal by duplicating the track, but it will not sound doubled because it is the exact same performance. What you would need to do is delay one of the tracks ever so slightly, or detune one of the them by just a couple of cents. Even better...you can cut up one of the tracks into regions, and then mix using both techinques randomly on all the regions...that will further the illusion.

But that's a lot of work, no? I always prefer to double track the vocal live....there really is no perfect way to simulate the effect of two ever so slightly different vocal performaces rubbing against each other.

Just use your best mic, your best pre-amp, your best xlr cable, and a little compression. Make sure you get a good input level, and there is no extraneous noise in the room that can be avoided. Also, if you have a pop filter, use it. And probably most important...do what you can to coax the best possible vocal out of the performer...adjust the lighting, the temperture, get their favorite snacks, keep water nearby, etc...you must play the role of the producer, even if you are producing yourself.

Good luck brutha!
Old 01-08-2003, 01:23 PM

I also recommend doing two takes for stacking vocals. Works far better than duplicating IMO.
For the phone 'lo-fi' sound, a good place to start is with the Waves Q10 eq. It has a telephone preset, and you can then tweek it from there. some like to boost around 1k for a midrangy effect. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 01:42 PM

Yep...that type of vocal effect is usually done with EQ (midrange), but another way that works great is with the SansAmp plug-in, if you have it. There are a couple other lo-fi type plugs too (I have a couple that I've never even tried!) that might do the trick...
Old 01-08-2003, 01:48 PM

waves Q10 equalizer has phone type effect setting in it as well... you might give that a shot.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:17 AM

Ya Might....thats what I'm talking about.

Thanks for yout input. I think production and recording takes time in general....It can be a pain on a off day but, hey thats the nature of the beast. Time is a factor but if you take the time your reslts will be more sastisfying in the end. I don't mind the tricks and editing its good for experience and it makes me more efficent.

How about another tip? How is a phone type muffled effect developed or applied? Is there a plug-in for this?

Again great help Might. You da shizznick!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 AM

I get the "telephone" sound by puting a high-pass filter up somewhere up around 500 and a low-pass somewhere down around 3 or 4k to simulate the telephone's narrow bandwidth. You have to set the frequencies for yourself by ear, of course.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:58 AM

Thanks Protools peoples....nice input!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:32 AM

i record mono sources on stereo track all the time.. by way of mic(mono)> preamp(mono)> through mixer where the output is stereo analog > lucid ad converters digital > 001.. i then dub the main vox on a mono track and set level lower then main. Adlibs go on a monotrack also then i pan them left and right during the playback and record the automation.. been doing this since i started and it workx for whut im doing
Old 01-09-2003, 08:37 AM

You can get a stereo image from a mono track with FX of course. On a mono bus insert a mono to stereo delay, use the short one. Mix at 100, left side 10-14 ms, right side 15-20 ms. You can bus the signal to the delay and adjust how 'much' you want. Modulation FX work for this as well, naturally but it's a different sound. TDM users have the option of the DPP-1, which along with the delay feature, can pitch shift the two sides by a small amount similar to what folks have been oing with Eventide's for awhile...