How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Default Audio output issues after installing Pro Tools 12

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so sincere apologies if I don't provided a detailed enough explanation of my issue.

I have just returned to using Pro Tools after a 2 year stint using Logic Pro. Last time I used Pro Tools, I had Pro Tools MP 9. I have just installed Pro Tools 12.

The issue I am having, is that after installing Pro Tools 12, audio from Pro Tools plays through my audio interface as it should, however audio from other applications (Spotify, web browers etc) will not play through my audio interface, but only through the built in speakers on my monitor. I was not having any issues playing audio from other applications through my audio interface prior to installing Pro Tools 12.

I have tried playing around with the audio settings in the control panel. My Audio Interface (M-Audio MobilePre) is set as the default device in the playback settings, but still no luck.

Potentially there is something super basic I have overlooked, as I have only just purchased a windows computer after a long stint using Macs.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Windows 10 Home Edition
M-Audio MobilePre
Pro Tools 12.8.1
Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Audio output issues after installing Pro Tools 12

If you are on a PC(as in your signature) you will be best off setting (in Windows>Control Panel>Sound Properties>Playback) Windows to NOT use your interface as its default playback device. Leaving the interface for Pro Tools-only will avoid any hardware conflicts(like Windows won't let you change sample rate in Pro Tools). Once you have Pro Tools working well, if you still want/need other sounds to play out of your studio monitors, there are several ways to make that happen. The "good" way would be to use a monitor/source switcher(Presonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob, etc) and connect both the computer sound card AND your interface(lots of side benefits with this, but you may not need or want them). On a tight budget; grab a small mixer(Behringer, Alto....around $50)and feed the sound card and interface into a couple of stereo line inputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave