Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 AM

Default protools 7

so what's the deal? when's it happening? any info? seems like we should be close to it...
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: protools 7

Quote:
so what's the deal? when's it happening? any info? seems like we should be close to it...
Good question. I've waited so long for '7' that I finally moved to another D.A.W. that actually takes advantage of my dual processor G5, runs great and has many features P.T.L.E. 6 doesn't.

Still like P.T.L.E. won't bash it, but the waiting game took it's toll on me. Maybe I'll grab a MBox type of entry level P.T.L.E. system one day. But right now my video editing, graphics & DVD authorizing programs are working with my audio app. on my Mac. So I'm happy.
I did hear from a really good source, that '7' will not be around till late Q4 2005. Late.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I've waited so long for '7' that I finally moved to another D.A.W. that actually takes advantage of my dual processor G5, runs great and has many features P.T.L.E. 6 doesn't.
I've been reading your posts ever since I was new... I'm a little suprised (but then again, not really, considering the limitations LE imposes).
What DAW did you move to? If you don't mind sharing, I won't take it as bashing.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:08 PM

I think my Pluggo plug ins crashed my protools because now I can't get past the Digi Rewire when it loads. WHen I pull my Digi Rewire out then it loads.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM

I think that a lot of person move today on LOGIC AUDIO which is develloped by APPLE!!

www.myspace.com/alx002
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
I've waited so long for '7' that I finally moved to another D.A.W. that actually takes advantage of my dual processor G5, runs great and has many features P.T.L.E. 6 doesn't.
I've been reading your posts ever since I was new... I'm a little suprised (but then again, not really, considering the limitations LE imposes).
What DAW did you move to? If you don't mind sharing, I won't take it as bashing.
Hello. I moved to Logic Pro 7.1 on a G5 dualie. At first, I didn't want to go Logic. Because I didn't want to get stuck in a Apple only enviorment. but I already am. All my web and graphics programs are Mac. And as fast as they are (when using P.T.L.E.) I didn't want to, but almost did go the PC route.
I read all the nightmares people complained about Logic, but I've been running this system for about three weeks now and it's smooth sailing. Quite a trip using 80+ plug-ins 15 samplers and 3-4 reverbs and having your system barely burp . Plug-ins just seem to run better in AU - PSP/ Sonalksis (yes I know we had to use the vst to rtas converter for PTLE). I still have my URS plug-ins. I now can do my video {DVD Studio Pro/ Final Cut Pro 5 & Motion} with my audio app. without jumping thru hoops, midi is incredible and I have surround. (Surround may not mean much to many ..right now.. but it will real soon.) My EWQLSO-Gold runs terrific and I can run more than 2 without the Mac maxing out.
There's more, but I don't want to start a why I left Digi thread. I learned many things on my Digi apps.
I just came to face the facts that I do not think Digi will allow "LE" to ever seriously use both processors, or have some of the FULL features the full version of Pro Tools has. I'm not complaining, I was in 'LE' and that's what I got. An 'LE' version of Pro Tools.

I liked and still like P.T.L.E. but it'll always be just that -limited Edition- Instead of asking why us 'LE' users don't have this or that for another year about what my 'LE' system didn't have compared to the full blown HD's (which I can't afford) ... I moved on. I'll probably grab a M-Powered or entry level 'LE' system again. Or who knows, maybe I'll run into some $$$$$ and get a HD 3 accel down the road!!

If I was a PC user (which I was when I first bought my 001 years ago) I'd probably of stuck it out. P.T.L.E. runs better on PC's than Macs. It's true, when I seen a Centrino 1.7Ghz laptop smoke a G5 dualie.... I knew something wasn't right on the Mac side of P.T.L.E.. More power doesn't only mean you can brag about how fast your computer is, it also means less work arounds and less time trying to do something with a slower or unused processor!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 PM

Hey Gorilla, have you found a way to transfer your tracks from PT to logic?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Hey Gorilla, have you found a way to transfer your tracks from PT to logic?
I consolidated many tracks -regions- before the switch!!! I just go to >>>Audio>>>import audio files! No problem

Sadly though, on some tunes I didn't consolidate them. So I don't know how easy or hard it'll be.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Thanks for sharing that Gorilla.
Actually, the only reason I bought a Mac back in 2003 was to be able to run PTLE on it. Because, a few years ago the rumour was that PT ran better on Macs (go figure)... Maybe looking back, I got in at the begining of what you could call the "PT-PC Revolution".

...I'm thinking about maybe giving Logic a run around the block, to see how it'll work with what I do. My main concerns are the latency issues I experience using PTLE.
Is Logic less latent (if you know what I mean)?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:10 AM

since there's some logic users....would my current rtas plugins (like my waves bundle) work within logic? Just curious...