Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Post for GREAT - Utilities - Easing Workflows

1) Menu Master

This application works nice although it is still in Beta form on Leopard - The Tiger version is 100% compatible.

All you gotta do is select the Menu Item like you would normally do - but right b4 you let the mouse button go you hit any key combo you'd like and now that is the short key for this operation.

The app is called MenuMaster Tiger and with it you can assign any key combo to any menu item. You can even create specific key combo sets for individual applications.

The BETA version for Leopard can be downloaded by clicking this link.

2) Default Folder X

This app will ALWAYS snap to individual folders of your choice when the open/save dialog appears...

It is very time saving NOT having to navigate all the time... You've gotta try it and you can demo it here:

Default Folder X

3)MacJournal

This app is the bomb - I use it to write Lyrics. I can store/record any audio/video file and keep it attached to the lyrics. That way I dont need two or more applications open when I write songs and practice to perform them.

You can demo it here: MacJournal

4)Music Math

This neat little FREE app does all kinds of great conversions. My favorite is the Notes to Freq. conversion

The application can be downloaded here : Music Math 4

5)You Control

This application lets you do a whole lot of things with Mac OS X Menubar. You can add an itunes controller or multiple clip board function etc. My Favorite is that I can make ANY folder location anywhere on my Mac appear as a drop down menu in the OS Menu Bar. Very useful tool.

You can try it here: You Software | You Control

This company offers many other useful gadgets.

6)QuicKeys

This app - takes some time to program but it extremely time saving in that you can turn routine actions into a single keystroke. Check it out here : QuicKeys

7)Fruit Menu

This app lets you completely customize you Apple Menu and you Context menus. You can make sets so that the Apple menu changes depending on which application is active. VERY useful tool

Tiger version : Fruit Menu Tiger

Leopard BETA (Works good) : Fruit Menu Leopard BETA

May I take a moment to suggest that you check out the other products which Unsanity are offering - they are really time saving.

So - the reason to making this post is for YOU other guys to list your favorite utility applications so that others may benefit and SAVE time.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Post for GREAT - Utilities - Easing Workflows

Here's a really great set of Audio Tools in OSX widget form:

Audio Producer Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 PM

I like Drag Thing, LaunchBar, & Snapper.

http://www.dragthing.com/english/about.html

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/SnapperMain.html

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2 Thumbs up for Snapper!! The built-in PT functions alone make it worth the $$.

Rogue Amoeba have a few good little apps (for Mac) http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

One in particular is called "LineIn" which allows you to pass audio from your mac's line input to any output on your mac... handy if you want to check your mixes on a pair of $5 USB-powered speakers (which i like to do from time to time)

They also have another app that lets you specify dedicated outputs for different programs... handy app to stop your email notification ripping your head off when it decides to play through your mbox / 002 etc!

A more PT specific one would be Steven Massey's "HiRes Meters" plugin set... finally some customisable TDM/RTAS metering for 'tools. Also included in his bundle is a VERY COOL PLUGIN called "LISTEN". Check it out... best plugin i've HEARD in a long time ;-)
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Hey Guys,

Is there a simple utility (Mac) where when you play a chord on your controller keyboard, it'll tell you what chord you're playing?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:08 PM

My newest favorite is a simple application that allows you to use a single mouse and keyboard to control several Macs.

I've got my dual-monitor Mac Pro and, a few feet to my left, my old G4 with it's own keyboard and mouse. I had normally just networked the two computers the standard way to move files, but this program allows me to have what seems like a third monitor controlled from the Mac Pro. Though obviously it's actually running from the G4 once I make the move. It's great for quickly and seamlessly exchanging files from desktop to desktop. The only drawback I've found is that larger files wont transfer. Check it out, it's free. Maybe throw the guy a few bones for the awesome effort.

teleport

BTW.. Soundfly, from the same company (which i imagine is just some dood), enables you to send the audio from one Mac to another. This helped me from having to buy a new set of speakers after I purchased the Mac Pro. It's also free.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM

The Big Blue Lounge widget is helpful, encompassing 5 functions
Big Blue Lounge Widget

Also this piano theory widget from mudcube is great for explaining to students/clients which notes are in which scale, inversions etc.
mudcube piano theory widget

I use both of them every day.

In the "fun / cool" catagory, Synthesia from this cat in Ann Arbor Michigan will play any midi file and stream the notes from above so you can see voicings. It's like a "real" version of Guitar hero, in that you have to actually play your midi keyboard correctly on all of the voicings. 10 songs are included that actually calculate scores & he's working on notation. Check it out, it's sweet.
Synthesia Midi Game

YMMV. Best W
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey Guys,

>Is there a simple utility (Mac) where when you play a chord on your controller keyboard, it'll tell you what chord you're playing? <

GarageBand 08 will do it. Hook up your controller keyboard, record-enable a software instrument track, and change the counter display to "chords". It's amazing.

Jeff D.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:30 AM

I like iStat Menus so you can see CPU usage and Network activity in the menu bar. Also Ikey with X Keys to take the guesswork out of Key combinations. This makes me much more productive in fast turnaround situations.

Simon L.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:02 AM

Logic has it too... would be great if protools would have a small window in the toolbar - where the played midi chords would be shown...