Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Can\'t get the ASIO driver to work...

Hi everybody,

has anyone actually made the ASIO driver work with a Mix plus system?

I've been trying for days now to get it working with both Reason and Wavelab and it's impossible.
I can choose the ASIO driver in both programs' panels. But in Reason I get an error message stating that I don't have a peripheral chosen so the Hardware panel will be opened and then I choose my 888/24 and then I get a red cross instead of the green tick in the Preference Panel and of course no sound.
When I choose the ASIO driver in Wavelab I get no error message until I try to play back sound, then I get a message that Wavelab can't play because of maybe uncompatible bit depths or if another application has opened the driver. But of course none the mentioned is true.

If I uninstall the ASIO driver and install the Wavedriver, I can get the Wavedriver to work with the Media Player but it doesn't show up in the Audio card list in Wavelab.

Clues, anyone?

I'm on Windows XP and use PT 6.1

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Can\'t get the ASIO driver to work...

Read about the hardware supported here.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-23-2003, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Can\'t get the ASIO driver to work...

Hi Rail,

thanks, but of course I haven't downloaded the 6.1.1 version for LE systems.

When I run the Pro Tools Installer on my Pro Tools TDM 6.1 CD, there's an option to install an ASIO driver. Do you mean to tell me that the ASIO driver in the TDM setup is for LE systems?
If that's the case,...well, it's a bit confusing to say the least.

If it isn't so, and anyone has another clue, please let me know.
Or if you have made Wavelab work with the Wavedriver included on the PT TDM 6.1 CD and your Mix plus/888 setup.

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-28-2003, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Can\'t get the ASIO driver...am I dumb or what?

This was the reply I finally got from Digi Tech Support:
Quote:
Hello,

Try updating to Pro Tools 6.11 along with the 6.11 ASIO driver.

Both are available here:

http://www.digidesign.com/download

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support
Since this was the reply I got and I was extremely clear that I run a TDM system with an 888/24 and Pro Tools 6.1, I turn to you fellow users again.

On the Pro Tools TDM 6.1 CD there IS an option to install an ASIO driver AND there IS also a Beta Wavedriver.
Now, am I really the only one wanting to use either of these with Wavelab and my Digi hardware?
Has anyone succeeded?

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 PM

It says somewhere in the documentation that the ASIO config doesn't work with Wavelab. I downloaded the Cubase SX demo and used this to configure the ASIO driver. It now works fine with Wavelab ( 4.0... earlier versions have not been tested, I have Cubase VST/32 and the ASIO driver doesn't work with that ).

I only recently got Reason but that seems to work fine as a rewire client or in standalone mode.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:06 AM

Hi lennieh!

What PT version do you have?
Hardware?
Have you tried to make Wavelab work with the Wavedriver?

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-30-2003, 10:03 AM

Couple of questions:

- Can we use the LE versions of the wavedriver and ASIO driver w/TDM systems?
- Any ideas when the PC version of TDM will be updated? It's no fun being last!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:55 PM

Hi Dave,

the info I've gathered from Digi's site sums up to this:
Quote:
The Digidesign ASIO Driver (6.1.1)is a multichannel, multimedia sound driver that allows third-party audio programs which support the ASIO standard to record and play back through the following Digidesign hardware on Windows XP Professional or Home with Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 installed:

Digi 002
Digi 002 Rack
Digi 001
Mbox
AudioMedia III

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
The Digidesign ASIO Driver v5.3.3b2 is a multichannel, multimedia sound driver that allows third-party audio programs which support the ASIO standard to record and play back through the following systems on Windows XP Professional or Home:

Pro Tools TDM systems with Pro Tools TDM 6.1
Pro Tools|HD with Pro Tools TDM 5.3.3
Pro Tools|24 MIX with Pro Tools TDM 5.3.1
Pro Tools|24 with Pro Tools TDM 5.3.1
Digi 002 with Pro Tools LE 5.3.2
Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE 5.3.1
Mbox with Pro Tools LE 5.3.3 *
ToolBox & AudioMedia III with Pro Tools LE 5.3.1
Full-duplex recording and playback of 24- and 16-bit audio are supported at sample rates supported by the hardware and ASIO program used.
*snip*
Pro Tools TDM 6.1 and Pro Tools LE 6.1.1

All Pro Tools 6.1 TDM and LE installation CDs include the Digidesign ASIO Driver Installer. The 5.3.3 and 6.1 versions have the same functionality and support for the same applications.

Pro Tools TDM 6.1 users should install the ASIO Driver from their Pro Tools 6.1 CD instead of the 5.3.3b2 download version.

Pro Tools LE 6.1 users should update to Pro Tools LE 6.1.1, then install the Digidesign ASIO Driver 6.1.1
*snip*
Standalone ASIO Driver

Owners of Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|24 MIX, Pro Tools|24, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, Mbox, Digi 001, and AudioMedia III hardware systems that want a stand-alone ASIO driver (without any version of Pro Tools software installed), should use the Digidesign ASIO Driver v6.1.1. For more information, see the Digidesign ASIO Driver v6.1.1 Download Page

----------------------------------------------
Quote:
The Digidesign WaveDriver 6.1.1 can be used on Digidesign-qualified Windows XP systems with Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 installed, or it can be used as a stand-alone driver on systems that do not have Pro Tools installed.

If Pro Tools is installed, Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 is required. This version will not work with Pro Tools LE 6.1 or older installed.

The Digidesign WaveDriver v6.1.1 can also be installed as standalone if no version of Pro Tools installed.

Supported Digidesign hardware on Windows XP Professional or Home with Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 installed:

Digi 002
Digi 002 Rack
Digi 001
Mbox
AudioMedia III

So, this makes it even funnier that Digi support suggested downloading the 6.1.1 ASIO driver, since it is clear that it only works with my system if I uninstall Pro Tools...and why on earth would I want that?
But it is also clear that the ASIO driver on the TDM 6.1 CD I've got, should work.
The included Wavedriver should also work.
But, for me it doesn't.
I will try the tip on downloading the Cubase demo to configure the ASIO driver, though I should be able to do that in Reason.
Soon I have to go through the tediuos procedure of re-installing everything, I guess, to get this working.

I appreciate any 2 cents added...

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-30-2003, 05:03 PM

Hi Rammelt

I'm using PT 6.1 with a Mix24 system. My PC is a 1Ghz Pentium III with 512MB memory.

I used the Wave driver when I was using PT 5.3.1 without any problems, but I did have a hell of a time trying to get the beta ASIO drivers working....go figure??

Regards Lennie