Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 12-06-2022, 08:12 PM

Default MBOX Studio Update after a Week

So, cutting to the chase, this unit is a steal. I can't imagine not having it at this point. Sounds great (and yes I've had great expensive units and I'm not sure I hear a big difference!)....the thing acts as a monitor controller and is so well thought out. Slanted conveniently toward you, etc. Just really a nice job. The only mistake they made was calling it an MBOX. Should have just been called AVID Studio. JMHO.

I had the Babyface ...complete with wires coming out of it all over my desk, this unit makes a clean appearance and really is at a killer price point.

And let's not get started on all the I/O and the reamp feature.

Very happy with this guy.

TH
Old 12-06-2022, 08:41 PM

Default Re: MBOX Studio Update after a Week

Yeah after a few days I'm really liking mine as well. The tune button is awesome! I actually did a shootout last night against the Apollo Twin X. Tracked vocals, acoustic guitar, DI bass and DI electrics using amp plugins and overall preferred the sound of the MBOX. The vocals were tested with the built in pre's and my external BAE 1073MP.

Here's my wish list for updates...

1. Let assignable keys mute/unmute specific designated tracks. Mainly so I can easily mute/unmute my vocal channel while writing/doing demos without having to click over to the mbox app.
2. Add compressor to FX chain.
3. Upgrade/more options for reverb. I definitely did not like the sound of that verb while tracking. I was previously tracking with the UAD Lexicon 224 which sounded amazing.

Things I'm still curious about...

1. I noticed on the converters thread, they only said they weren't the same ones in the carbon and this unit is much cheaper and then the thread changed subjects. I'm curious about the quality of these converters and what class/level they would put them in. I know...use my ears... If I could easily have a handful of converters set up and do the test I definitely would.
2. I also saw someone asking about hooking up their Fractal Audio and they were mentioning it not working or getting pops or something and it made me think about UA having that automatic Sample Rate Convert that you can select on that channel. You can't change the sample rate those units send out so I'm wondering if this MBOX has that same option. A way to tell it to automatically convert the incoming sample rate to match whatever you are at.

Chris