Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Default New gig, Native shopping list help plz

Hi all,

Okay, I believe I've read all the pertinent posts and think I have it worked out, but just want to post my shopping list/plan so anyone can red flag it for me if necessary. thanks to anyone who takes the time...

I will be starting a composing gig in September. I have an old TDM system which I'll probably continue to rely on for tracking etc, but I want to build a new, HD Native system 'on the side' so I can take advantage of some new gear while also incorporating my old 192's and control 24.

things I already have from my HD2 system, that I believe I'll be able to use in the new system (understanding that they'll work but won't be supported):

(2) 192's

(1) sync IO

(1) Control 24 (revived by Neyrinck V control Pro if you guys think protools 11 is okay on my imac)

The computer: I already own an Imac 27 inch 3.2Ghz, late 2013, I5. In another thread here, it seems ok to use this computer as long as I max the RAM and swap the mechanical drive for an ssd, and stick to protools 10/11, which i'm fine with. I'm really hoping to use this comp cuz I can't afford a new one at this stage (maybe if there's a season 2). Is anyone else having success with a comparable rig? My track counts will not be insane. It's a small cable show and I'll be working quickly so no real time for huge track counts.

what I believe I need to buy:

(1) Native HD PCIe card via ebay or the like
or...
(1) Native HD Thunderbolt (I think the advantages would be for portability, but unfortunately my macbook pro lappie is late 2013 i5 and I think that means it won't work so PCIe and sonnet are probably the ticket)
(1) Sonnet Express enclosure for Native card and any others
(1) Digilink oldskool to mini adaptor (to connect my 192s)
(1) Protools 10/11

In addition I plan to run Komplete 11 ultimate, and the latest Reason if that changes things in anyones mind. (incidentally it seems as if you can get a Komplete kontroller and 11 ultimate for about the same price that Ultimate usually costs at the moment, if anyone cares, but maybe they run this promo all the time to suck in the ebayers... dunno.)

Thanks!!