Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 AM

Default Pops/crackles during playback w/ PT 8

I just upgraded from PT 7.3 to PT 8 and absolutely love it except for 1 thing so far. I get a very faint crackle/popping artifact during playback/mixdown. It's not constant, it comes and goes but usually in the same places everytime. I've tried soloing tracks to trace the source but come up with nothing, it's just there. All my tracks were great when recorded and played back in PT 7.3. I'm getting behind on mixing chasing down ghosts! Any advice is appreciated!

Gear:
P4 3.2 ghz
2 gb memory
m audio delta 1010 x 2
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Pops/crackles during playback w/ PT 8

My best guess is a monitor or power issue.

I also use the 10/10 rackmount and occasionally,(not very often.) I hear very faint crackles randomly.
I can never trace them to a track and they never show up on mix down!

I use m-audio bx series speakers. Usually its in the left channel.

My odds are on the power supply in the house or the ground. Most pro studios are well insulated from these power issues but... obviously us project studio guys are not able to afford these power solutions.

As long as these problems are not commited to the recording and are not showing up on the mixes or bounces.. I guess I'm going to have to live with it.
Fortunately as I said they are rare but annoying none the less.
If you find a solution i'd appreciate a heads up.
Best wishes.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this mcgirr, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to try and help.

My crackles do show up on mixdowns unfortunately. I guess the main issue is that this all started AFTER I upgraded to PT 8. I never had any issues with these same tracks or any others before the update. I run all my gear through MONSTER POWER power filters so I don't think it's coming from there.

I've done everything on the Troubleshooting list except for disabling my wireless internet adapter which helps me with updates and plug ins. But again, I never had trouble with it before the update.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Sorry I wasnt much help.(Dont feel bad my wife feels the same way.lol)

Im still running ptmp 7.0. So I've got nothing on mp 8.
I assume since your running 2 delta 10/10 that you are capable of 16 track recording. Im curious whether you have ever recorded this many tracks and how it went.

I avoided upgrading from 7.0 because the blogs at the time indicated there was a glitch that allowed an almost unlimited amount of recording tracks with the deltas.(i.e 24 track recording.)
PTMP is supposed to allow only 18 simultaneous tracks of recording.

I believe the firebridge or one of the other interfaces also had this "glitch". I believe it was corrected in mp7.1.(could be wrong on the correction update.)
At some point I will undoubtedly update to 8.0 but since the update from 7.0 to 8.0 is $150.00(at least.).
I will probably just buy a boxed version of 8.0 seperately.( I only paid $279.00 on line, in a name your price bid for 7.0 boxed version.)

I love my Delta 10/10 and am always interested to hear from other users on thier experience and satisfaction.

Again sorry no help on your issue. (Are all your drivers up to date?.)

Best wishes.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Talking Re: Pops/crackles during playback w/ PT 8

I had the crackling problem everytime i bounce a track and played it back on PROTOOLS 8 on WINDOWS......until i change my "BIT DEPTH" to 16"...and i changed my "Sample Rate" to 32khz" anything over this depth the crackling always came back......it worked for me and i hope it will help someone else...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 AM

This may help us find a solution to your issue.

Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

www.sisoftware.co.uk

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com