Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-08-2021, 03:16 PM

Default Converting midi to audio in PT 11.3.1

I am using PT 11.3.1. I really wish to save some CPU''s by converting my midi tracks to audio. Some YouTube videos sure make it look east to drag and drop into a new audio track and it auto-converts, but I am not sure I have this capability with my present version. (I am working on a 6:30s project and mock symphonic composition honoring my dad's memory and during rendering, PT gets occasional hiccups)

Can anyone kindly confirm this?

Thanks much in advance!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Converting midi to audio in PT 11.3.1

The videos you’re referring to are probably demonstrating the commit function. That was introduced in some iteration of PT12 so no, you won’t have that functionality.

You have two options. Either upgrade to a current version of PT that has that functionality and many other useful new features or, buss the output of that track to another audio track and print the audio in real-time. You could also solo that channel and bounce it out, import and spot to the location desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightsono View Post
I am using PT 11.3.1. I really wish to save some CPU''s by converting my midi tracks to audio ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Midi gets printed on a midi track only. Once you have a midi track, you can use it to trigger a midi device such as a keyboard, drum machine or softsynth. Any of those devices can be recorded on audio tracks just as you record anything else. You can also listen to your midi device by inputing it to an aux track(mono or stereo). I do that so I can edit my midi drum tracks till they are correct, then record my drum module(TD10) to 8 audio tracks for mixing. As for softsynths(which I have not used) I believe you insert them on an aux track to hear them play. I am sure there are others that can explain this in more detail.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-08-2021, 10:50 PM

Thank you both for responding. I had a feeling that PT 11 did not have that capability.

Follow up question: Can the suggested above method (which I have tried and was successful) be done in one shot after assigning all tracks and routes correctly and arming all tracks to be receiving audio? Like batch processing, if you will?
Old 07-08-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
...Can the suggested above method (which I have tried and was successful) be done in one shot after assigning all tracks and routes correctly and arming all tracks to be receiving audio? Like batch processing, if you will?
My (untested - as I don't have Pro Tools 11 installed) guess:

Yes

Give it a try!

Recording multiple Midi (instrument tracks)
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350775
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-08-2021 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added old Thread
Old 07-09-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Follow up question: Can the suggested above method (which I have tried and was successful) be done in one shot after assigning all tracks and routes correctly and arming all tracks to be receiving audio? Like batch processing, if you will?

Yes.

I wouldn’t really call it ‘batch processing’ as you’ll be recording everything in real time. But yes, you’ll save a lot of time if you route multiple outputs to multiple audio tracks and record them all in one pass. Essentially like tracking a live band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk