Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-1999, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Studio Furniture ; suggestions ?

I've got mine housed in a piece built by Custom Consoles in Nashville. Here's a link to their photo gallery (mine's the one sitting in front of the big RED booth).

http://custom-consoles.com/pictures_9.htm#PROCONTROL

The guys that built it are great to work with and can build these things for almost any configuration you want. Notice the right hand lower bay of the console? It is an IsoBox. Thats where my computer and drives are housed and it really helps keep the control room noise levels down. Browse through their site, there are some other nice ProControl consoles in the photo gallery.

------------------
Richards Outpost Audio
* Ain't Life Grand?*
Old 12-25-1999, 09:39 PM

I just received mine and we put it into an Argosy console. Looks amazing. The console is well built and fairly easy to assemble. The Pro Control replaced our DDA console and in the Argosy, the Pro Control is cool.
Old 12-30-1999, 08:37 PM

Custom Consoles tables are great, but pretty pricey. By the time you get it, most of them will be well over $2000. I had one built similiar to theirs(slighty larger) by a local cabinet maker, with Oak and the whole works for less than $1000. I used to have the OmniRax Prostation which works well too, and I think the wholesale cost on those is about $700.
Old 01-02-2000, 12:05 AM

I have a 16-channel setup as well, and a room with limited space. I picked up the Omnirax Coda EX. Be careful -- you'll need the EX version -- the standard Coda is made for a Mackie HUI. Very nice, solid, and it's on casters which is great. Includes a shelf for my 2 monitors and a pair of Mackie HR824's. As I recall, my price was something under $500.

For info, go to http://www.omnirax.com/, click on "mixing" in the left margin, and choose "Coda D8EX."

Why the mini picture says "D8EX" I have no idea, since they have a separate model for the d8b. I asked my local GC to order a "Coda D8EX," and they couldn't figure it out. When I asked for a "Coda EX" everything was peachy.
Old 01-02-2000, 07:16 AM

I'v got a total of 24 faders think Omnirax will fit?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-02-2000, 09:56 AM

OmniRax ProStation should work for you Jules. I have one sitting here and the table top is about 71" long.
Old 01-02-2000, 06:46 PM

Good topic.

Just got 32 channels of Pro Control and while I don't think I need an Argosy type desk to add to the client wow factor (32 channel PC is a pretty killer looking setup by itself) I would be interested in something that intergrates 2 or 3 flat screen monitors into the console.

Level, I would appreciate a phone number for Pacific Coast Designs to see what they offer.

Thanks,
Kenny Meriedeth
Melted Media Music
Old 01-03-2000, 02:38 PM

Jules, just to clarify, the Omnirax Coda EX I mentioned will definitely NOT work with your 24 fader setup. It's specificaly designed for 16 max. Ron indicated that a different Omnirax model, the ProStation, should work for you, though.
Old 01-08-2000, 03:27 PM

I've got mine in an argosy.
Got the one with 10 rack spc on each side and room for one fader pack (total 16 faders).

A few days ago I made the realization that I've only been using 2 faders since the thing came in the door. Now I'm thinking about mounting a monitor/keyboard/trackball combi. instead of the fader pack. Not that the keyboard floating on the side is a problem, I'm using it less and less every day. The trackball is still a neccesity tho. One note about putting a keyboard on top of the desk; they don't provide a hole to run the cords thru, so I had to take 120 seconds out of my busy schedule to drill it myself. No big deal, minor oversight on argosy's part.

There is definitely a different vibe with a massive desk. It makes everything feel so much more "official". I think clients are more intimidated by it too. Sorry digi guys, but without the argosy the PC looks like something from the wal-mart toy department.

The padded leather definitely does not hinder my reach to the furthest buttons, and I'm a short guy. In fact, it feels damn good underneath the arms 18 hours into the session.

I haven't seen many desks to compare it to, but I can say in general that the argosy is not as stable or flexible as hardware I've seen from middle atlantic products. It does look a hell of a lot nicer tho.

Omnirax is cheap, clunky and flimsy by comparison, and overpriced IMO. If you're thinking about going that cheap, order a computer desk online or something. Or get some wood and screws and design your own. After the 3rd or 4th try you'll still be ahead of the game.

Quick loc would be my choice for an inexpensive, compact, sufficiently stable, and totally modular system; as long as you're not trying to win any beauty contests.

There are lots of benefits to going with a modular system. I'm not mad at the argosy, but I came this close (pinches fingers together) to getting the 32 fader model. And they make it so you can't convert those slots into racks! Imagine being stuck with all that wasted space!

Hope that helps you with your decisions,

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 01-09-2000, 05:47 AM

Hi Jules. I'm also toying with a new furniture for my PC. You have a Mission Control right? How easy is it to work with the Mission Control? Having the alpha numeric keyboard on the side does not bother you?

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com