Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Default Avid Pro Limiter Vs Flux Limiter

I bought the Flux limiter because the special price, but in my opinion the interface o the flux is not that great, so I then tried the Avid Pro-Limiter (they are both DSP). I much prefer the Avid Pro-limiter in most ways! I am only using it to catch any inter sample peaks so it is a very gentle use (just in case there are IS peaks), the interface and ease of set up of the Avid is much better than Flux. So I bought the Avid limiter!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Avid Pro Limiter Vs Flux Limiter

Avid pro comp is real nice / real quick and clean

I was impressed
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 AM

A while ago I tested a few true-peak limiters and ended up with Avid pro-limiter. Nice and clean, works great on a great variety of sources.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM

I have the pro limiter and Flux elixir. I like both but use the Flux elixir most of the time. It is very transparent and more practical. I like the fact that you can control the peaks without actually touching the average loudness at all. For example, you can lower the peaks on 2 or 3 small sections of a printed mix (in audiosuite) without any loudness change at the in and out location of the processed regions. It is a really good tools for fixing QC problems.

But... Their support suck be time.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
I have the pro limiter and Flux elixir. I like both but use the Flux elixir most of the time. It is very transparent and more practical. I like the fact that you can control the peaks without actually touching the average loudness at all. For example, you can lower the peaks on 2 or 3 small sections of a printed mix (in audiosuite) without any loudness change at the in and out location of the processed regions. It is a really good tools for fixing QC problems.

But... Their support suck be time.
I didn't try Flux in audiosuite, I was using it real time. For audiosuite processing I use the Cedar Adaptive Limiter (it is awesome) but for real time, I prefer the Avid especially since I am just touching the IS peaks. I also have the Nugen ISL which may be my favorite but it is not DSP and for me DSP is of maximum importance at this time so I can use my HDX card as much as possible and free up my CPU.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 AM

I agree, the Cedar adaptive limiter is great. That's my #1 choice plugin to make SFX punchier in audiosuite. The 12,000 samples delay compensation needed when using it in realtime make it less convenient when mixing.

I use the Cedar whenever I want to limit peak and increase the average signal level both at the same time and the Flux elixir when I want to reduce the peaks without altering the perceived loudness.

I heard good stuff about the Nugen but like you, I like using AAX DSP PI whenever possible.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/