Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Default MIDI sustain problem

I'm trying to figure out why the sustain drops out in a section of a MIDI piano recording. The sustain pedal was held down properly during the recording, but as I played it I heard that the sustain was not being recorded, and on playback it's the same.

Re-recorded it and the same thing happened -- the sustain is being turned off for just one measure on the piano track. The rest of the recording with sustain is normal.

Using Ivory 1.6.

The MIDI event list shows nothing unusual that I can see -- the sustain is on for the entire section in question.

Can anyone tell me how can I identify what's causing this?

Last edited by djcream; 09-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Default Re: MIDI sustain problem

Hi, sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I have a question in regards to sustaining on midi also. I've searched everywhere and can't find a solution so my apologies. I am completely new to pro tools and I am wondering how to actually put sustain on a midi track and bind it to a sustain pedal which is plugged into my midi controller.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Default Re: MIDI sustain problem

I'm no pro obviously, but if you mean you want to apply sustain to an existing MIDI track I would:

Open the "sustain" view of that MIDI track: To do this you would access the drop down menu's sustain view by clicking on the button that says "notes" on the left side of the track, drop down to > controllers > sustain.

Then I would use the grabber tool (the little hand icon top left of the edit window) to manually create the sustain by pulling the black line on the bottom of the track up and down with the grabber tool. When the sustain line is pulled up it's as if you've pressed the sustain pedal, and when it's pulled back down, you're releasing the sustain pedal.

Hope this helps.

And my question is still open if anyone has any ideas for me...