Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Anyone else think PT7 sucks??

so much interest!!

thanks for the posts....it seems i've not made any friends, but hey ho, thats the way it goes! i'll remember next time to word my question nicely, without casting doubt on the digidesign empire (which i've been a fan of since moving from audiovision to PT4, through 5, 6, 7 - probably much like most of the people on here). i think we'll stop this thread here, before it descends to a 'english.v.american film industry' slagging match and so i can get my recut done. hopefully.

i wish you all well in your pursuits.....i promise i won't be tempted to rant again, if i'm ever allowed out of the assistant cupboard.

regards,

steve.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 AM

oh, but in response to filmixers questions, yes the crashing does occur when i am using the region group functions. the way we're doing recuts is to group the original region (of about twenty tracks), applying a software ('virtual katy' - lifesaver!), which means we end up with the new edited audio, still grouped together, AND the original in the same session. whenever i try to ungroup all, or just ungroup a section, pro tools goes. i've tried copies of the session (not the original) on other systems, importing the tracks to a new session etc etc. there will be a workaround, but it means reconforming without grouping the region (which, yes, is a very nice function they've added) but as the virtual katy software can't cut/paste through a fade (somehitng which is bypassed through grouping regions) i'll have to hand pick through any missing edits from the EDL.

the other problem i mentioned was entering the main counter, copying the timecode, moving around the session, then trying to paste the original timecode back into the main counter to get back to where you were. doesn't seem to work....anyone else had this??

cheers,

steve
Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 AM

Steve,

So it appears that you are using VK -- I am no expert in using VK, but I am an expert in troubleshooting, and the first rule, is eliminate variables...

What happens when you eliminate VK? Does your problem go away? (note: I use region groups extensively -- groups of 20+ tracks are a no-brainer, no-issue)

You never responded about the version of Waves -- please confirm you are using the latest version.

Did you do as others suggested, removing all non-digi plugins from your plugins folder (whether you use them or not) so that you can be 100% certain that this is not a plugin conflict?

If I were torubleshooting this, I would do the following:

1. remove VK, and all non-digi plugins;
2. restart, open your session;
3. do the region operation as described that's causing protools to "suck" (manually, without VK);
4. if everything works... then;
5. SYSTEMATICALLY add plugins. keep track of what plugs you are adding, so that with minimal restarts, you can determine the exact plug that's getting in the way (if it's a plugin issue);
6. if you can keep working and no problems once all your plugs are in, then put VK back into the picture;
7. I'm not a betting man, but my $ is on a VK conflict....

You should be able to do this entire test in an hour (assuming 10 restarts). Is it worth a one-hour test to guarantee your rig is solid?

If you want to skimp on testing time, remove VK and start there... BUT -- until you are 100% certain your plugin suite is perfect, I'd be hesitant to do any work for hire where a client is within earshot. But that's just me.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:45 AM

>whenever i try to ungroup all, or just ungroup a section, pro tools goes<

Does Pro Tools crash when you ungroup the original, uncut regions, or the new conformed regions?

> but as the virtual katy software can't cut/paste through a fade (somehitng which is bypassed through grouping regions)<

I see why you're using the Region Group function now. I was wondering why you just didn't conform with the regions ungrouped. I'm curious, since VK will do a cut through a fade with the regions grouped, when it does and then you ungroup the regions, does Pro Tools re-render a fade, or is the region just short by that much with the fade deleted? When I get a chance, I think I'll try doing some edits through some fades with Region Grouping on to see what happens.

>the other problem i mentioned was entering the main counter, copying the timecode, moving around the session, then trying to paste the original timecode back into the main counter to get back to where you were<

I don't navigate around a session that way. It's much better to use Memory Locations to mark different areas and then you'll have a nice list of scenes you can just jump to. What I would do is use one location, like "99", as a scratch locator. At a location, just type ".", "99", "enter". When you want to jump back, well, you know what to do. I'll try your method to see what's not working though.

Just to be clear, you do do these type of operations on other sessions and all works fine. It's just some particular sessions that are being troublesome at this point, correct?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
when it does and then you ungroup the regions, does Pro Tools re-render a fade, or is the region just short by that much with the fade deleted? When I get a chance, I think I'll try doing some edits through some fades with Region Grouping on to see what happens.
This may be slightly OT, but I've had nothing but problems using Region Groups (which have fades in them) and then cutting the group and adding fades. Invariably you end up with fades that can't be rebuilt becuase there's nothing underlying it. Eventually the session will complain about missing Audio files, (which are really fades) but can't be found.
I've got to the point where the first thing I do after importing a Region Group is to ungroup it and deal with the original files. Much safer. So region grouping for me is just a way to keep a bunch of associated files together for easy import . . . not to depend on any underlying fades that were built in. The only other time I use them is to move a bunch of files within a session , group them move them and ungroup them if I need to do anymore editing on the group.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 AM

Dear Steve,

I would like to invite you to call Digidesign UK technical support to find a solution to your techical problems. I can see from our call logs that we have yet to have any contact with you.

Please call us on the phone number below that is more appropriate to your warranty status.

Warranty Phone Support (Systems under 1 year)
Free Phone Tel: 00 800 86824555
(if service unavailable: 0044 1753 653 322)

Non-Warranty Phone Support (Systems over 1 year old)
Tel (Premium Line): 0906 553 0919

Your email address is not in your profile, if you would prefer to speak wih us over email then please use the following technical support form: http://www.digidesign.com/tsr/. Once submitted it will be with my English speaking technicians.

In either case you will need to provide details of who the system is registered to to qualify for technical support. If the hardware is hired then please contact your hire company who can work with Digidesign to find a solution to your techncial problems. If the system is purchased you can also contact your reseller who also will be happy to liase with Digidesign on your behalf.

Yours sincerely

Dan Muchmore
Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 AM

Regarding the ability to "cut through fades" - we're working on trying to solve this problem for you conforming folks out there. We realize how frustrating it is to need to do a global "separate" or "cut" and there's a fade file getting in the way of doing this.

I don't have a timetable, but rest assured, it's on our radar. I would assume that once we solve this, Virtual Katy should "just work" in these situations.

Also, the "copy/paste" problem with the "start/end/length/main" fields should be fixed in a CS version, coming soon to a Digi website near you...(give it a week or two)

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 03-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Just a thought here, and sorry, it's not related to your question, but more on the general repsonses.

Yes, there are many top Pro's using this forum, and DIGI gear. Yes, we're all human, and when things are going wrong we can be VERY frustated. Often, posts get written when someone is in a huff & has gone through the wringer trying to get things to work. Definitely happened to me.

All I ask is that we cut our fellows some slack about their "tone of voice" in posts. Of course some huffy posts are way off base & need to be reigned in.

So I guess it's a 2-part request.

1) POSTERS - realize that if you're in a huff, tone it down. Maybe take a few minutes before writing.
2) RESPONDERS - realize the poster may have been in a huff & may really be having a hard time.

Peace
Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
troll

1st post here - totally negative

Have you considered your computer is somewhat underpowerd?
Any possibility of operator error?
Any possibility of plugin conflicts?
Any possibility of configuration errors?

Instead of saying PT7 sucks, how about asking a question that might resolve your probelm...

Are you prepared to do what you have to do make PT7 work great?
Troll? Do you mean to say that one is not allowed to express exasperation? I think you have ingested one too many Digidesign uber-loyalty capsules. Now you can call me a troll.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Do you mean to say that one is not allowed to express exasperation?
if the original poster had written, "I am having problems globally cutting grouped regions with an underlying fade; also I am having problems selecting insertion point by typing into the location window..." - that would have prompted an entirely different response.

But instead, the OP wrote, "anyone else think PT7 sucks??"

Have we forgotten that we are engineers? our job description typically includes documentation of a technical nature. there is science in our work, and although there is plenty of art, the mechanics of our tools are very on/off -- that is, we can quantify why things happen. When I turn this knob, I hear this...

Another part of our job is documenting our work for ourselves or others to restore our work at a later time.
Another part of our job is communicating with our colleagues.

In my opinion, the OP filed to communicate - his rant was about a specific technical issue. Hey, we all have discovered little things -- but the professional way would be to document it, and report it.

It takes the same amounnt of time to post a rant as it does to post a detailed technical explanation of what isn't working - and maybe someone has a solution. In this case, once the OP was clear about his problem, there was an answer and a reply from Digi.