Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-27-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Need to Buy a Video Monitor!

I know this topic has been discussed but after doing a search I got dizzy...

I mix post, mostly ads... Currently I'm viewing on a sony crt Ithink it's 22".
I'm looking to step up to something larger but am confused. My current monitor is recessed into the wall and so putting a larger crt would mean cutting a bigger hole. Pain in the ass but it is an option.
Plasma has delay, LCD has delay and Projectors have a delay...
My question is?
Of the above choices which one are most of you using, and how do you deeel with the delay? Is getting some delay device attached to the audio the best bet?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Need to Buy a Video Monitor!

There's a certain ranch up north of you that is installing LCD projectors into their Sound Design rooms. The delay compensation can be handled in the quarter frame offset for the movies. Just find out what the rise time is on the lcd projector, then add that (usually 25-35ms) to the 16-18 quarter frames (OS X) required by the firewire-to-video converter. This would put you in the 36-44 QF adjustment range. Run a couple of tests with a 2-pop and you should be close enough for government work.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
There's a certain ranch up north of you that is installing LCD projectors into their Sound Design rooms. The delay compensation can be handled in the quarter frame offset for the movies. Just find out what the rise time is on the lcd projector, then add that (usually 25-35ms) to the 16-18 quarter frames (OS X) required by the firewire-to-video converter. This would put you in the 36-44 QF adjustment range. Run a couple of tests with a 2-pop and you should be close enough for government work.
But....you'll still need a non-delayed CRT nearby to make SURE you are in sync, and that your projector
etc sync offsets are working.

Philip Perkins CAS
Old 07-28-2004, 08:51 AM

My concerns are that I do all this delay compensations and then when I lay back to a Digital Beta machine it looks in synch here in the studio but in actuallity it's all off. I've been seeing a ton of stuff broadcast lately that is slightly out of sync. I think the plasma will me my 1st choice because they look good from the sides and I usually have my clients directly behind me at the producer's desk but their clients often choose to sit on the couch on the side. The plasma looks good at harsh angle where as the lcd's don't. The projection is an option but I'm not sure how clients will feel having to work in the darker room enviornment needed.
I guess I'll have to just figure out what the delay is and work around it.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 08:58 AM

Earhole,
Another factor to consider is that on many Digi Beta Masters the picture has been Color Corrected and this can be an additional offset of up to a frame and a half. What happens is the Picture is put through all this processing and the Audio isn't delayed. This happens a lot where you get a work copy and while your mixing the client is in color Correcting and when you get the Master Video it's all of a sudden out of sync.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Well, I'm usually the last stop. I get the finished master and layback to it for distribution. Not Always but most of the time. I have noticed that I've had to slide things around after editing and mixing to a work tape.